Collaborative fun for all

Collaborative Spaces on the second and third floor have modernized our school and invite creativity.

Staff Photo by Yasmin Rosa

Students take advantage of the new collaborative areas.

Yasmin Rosa, Staff Writer

In the past couple months, Wakefield established unique collaborative spaces to allow students to find comfort outside of their classrooms. These new spaces can be found in the 2300 hallway and the 300 hallway where the locker bays used to be. There are tables with comfortable chairs, a whiteboard with dry erase markers for educational purposes, and a television, which can be hooked up to a laptop and project the screen that the laptop is displaying.  

Assistant Principal Dr. Vivian Wells oversaw the majority of the planning of the spaces and is hopeful that the new spaces will create an opportunity for collaboration.

“When you look up the dictionary definition of the word collaboration, it talks about working together,” Wells said. “And that is one of the main goals we have for the spaces here at Wakefield.”

Students have been venturing into the spaces during classes, pride time and after school.  They may be attracted to the vibrant colors, the wrap around artwork or just the inviting atmosphere.

The collaborative areas are in pristine condition inviting students to be as creative as possible.

“The spaces are very nice and organized,” Junior Brynn Moore said. “During pride time and other designated study times, it’s a comfortable space and an alternate from the classroom.”

Many students and teachers see the collaborative spaces as an amazing opportunity to get away from the normal, routine setting of their everyday classroom.

“They [collaborative areas] are open to students during pride time, and before and after school,” Assistant Principal Mr. Wolfe said. “It’s a defined area where students can go and get work done”

Although the spaces are open to students during lunch time, food is not permitted. The spaces are not areas for socializing. The main purpose of these new additions is to invite students and teachers into a different learning environment to complete work. The money came partly from a grant Dr. Wells applied for and partly from the Just Think First association.

“I think it was a very good investment. It gives students another destination, aside from the ones they use everyday, to get their work done,” Senior Justin Decooman said. “I just wish we had them before the end of my senior year.”

If teachers wish to reserve the collaborative spaces for their classes, they may reserve them by going to a Google Doc that can be found on the media center’s website.

“The teachers on duty are there to make sure work gets done, but to also help students who need it as well,” Wolfe said.

Students are allowed to use televisions for movies, or video games. However, if they wish to play video games they must be G-rated.

“I really just wish the students would respect and take care of the spaces,” Wells said. “There should not be any trash in there [collaborative spaces]  students should be sure to clean the tables, floor, and the glass board after it gets used.”