School spirit to the max

Homecoming week at Wakefield invigorates student body

Staff Photo by Chase Cofield

Students react excitedly to the pep rally.

Whitney Gaudet, News Editor

One of the most exciting times of the school year is spirit week for our Wolverines, which also correlates with other events, such as our annual pep rally, homecoming football game, and homecoming dance! The pep rally held the Friday of spirit week holds many festive activities that all classes are encouraged to participate in, with Seniors Ben Luther and Daniel Ojimadu as the MC’s to lead the pep assembly’s activities and keep everybody’s energy roaring.

“Daniel and I are the type of people to feed off of each other,” Luther said, “we’re going to make you laugh, but we’re going to get you in the right mindset.” 

The first event that took place during spirit week was the pep rally on October 20, which was also a half-day, so the underclassmen and upperclassmen pep rallies took up the majority of the school day. The freshman-sophomore class pep rally took place during second period, which was a thrilling experience between the new freshman and sophomores.

Staff Photo by Chase Cofield
Seniors, Ben Luther and Daniel Ojiimadu hype up the crowd for the pep rally.

“We have a performance by the cheerleaders, the dance team, games for people to play, and the football team,” Ojimadu said.

The biggest hit throughout the whole pep rally would most likely be the dance team performance, which takes place about halfway through, and all of the students get involved in the dance and the intense energy it brings to the entire gym.

“The dance-off [is my favorite part], so seeing the people in your grade going at it on the floor to some hype songs, [is] always fun to watch,” Luther said.

One of the activities that students participated in during the junior-senior pep rally was an energetic relay race, including spins around a baseball bat to the forehead, running across the length of the gym, flipping a water bottle, running more, hula hooping, and finishing it off with a sprint back to the start.

“A lot of people had a lot of fun, the junior-senior pep rally was very competitive, and overall it was a fun day and the students really enjoyed it,” Student Government Advisor Lauren Plant said.

Following the enthusiasm of the morning, came the homecoming football game in the evening, which created such enormous energy from all of the fans of the student section and families in the bleachers. The football team took on Corinth Holders for our homecoming game, and there was endless support coming from the entire school, with homecoming court being announced during half-time.

Staff Photo by Chase Cofield
Wakefield Cheerleaders get in formation.

“My favorite part is always halftime at the homecoming game where we crown the king and the queen and the princesses, and the floats drive around the track, that’s kind of where it all comes together,” Plant said.

With all of these exciting events, also came the homecoming dance occurring on Saturday the next day, which could easily be determined as being an important part of the high school experience. All of these fun activities exemplified just how greatly students were impacted and brought together by all of the moments they created and harnessed.

“My favorite part was seeing all the different 80s inspired outfits!” Student Government Advisor Rachel Bentley said. “One student came with a large blow-up boom box that he carried on his shoulder.”