Junior Wolverines inspire underclassmen

Howler staffers Yasmin Rosa and Ryanne Howard recruitted a few juniors to reflect on their years in high school. In the following reflections, juniors offer underclassmen advice on surviving high school.

Ryanne Howard

More stories from Ryanne Howard

Ryanne Howard
June 4, 2019
Wacko Trivia
May 2, 2019
Yasmin Rosa

More stories from Yasmin Rosa

Kyle Harris

Kyle Harris, Guest Writer, junior

High School is like a can of worms. You never know what you’re going to get until you lift up the lid and see what’s inside. My freshman year of high school brought the reality of actual high school. It led me to meet different types of people, confront different students that I’ve never experienced before and started me on my path to finding myself.

My advice to the new kids on campus is that when you finally decide to open the can of worms is to be open-minded. Be ready to see aspects of life from a different perspective every day. Be prepared to let people and other things go to better yourself. And finally, stay true to yourself, don’t let anyone dim your light and evolve.

Yibel Genao

Yibel Genao, Guest Writer, junior

My advice to freshman is to make friends even if you’re shy, get out there and try to talk to someone. My freshman year I was shy but I got to know people easily because I thought the worst thing they can do is not talk back. So for me, there was nothing really to lose. Stay focused on your grades and talk to your teachers. Make sure to ask for help if you need some because if you miss one thing your going to miss a lot more.  So stay focused, stay positive, and stay connected.

Emma McFarlane

Emma McFarland, Guest Writer, junior

Freshman year, we were all still in the 9th grade center, and while it had its problems, it was something of a safe space. Freshman don’t know what to expect, and almost all remain middle schoolers at heart for the majority of [their freshmen year]. It takes a while to mature and adjust and the 9th grade center was a good place to do it. Many people I know aren’t exactly proud of the way they were in 9th grade, but to me, it just means you’ve improved. No matter how awkward a time it was, at least you’ve (hopefully) moved past it.