Vegetarians and vegans share what makes them munch

An inside look at the veggies of Wakefield

The reasons that one may decide to eliminate animal products for their diet can range from a desire for better health to a passion for environmental activism to advocation of animal rights. No matter the rationale, vegetarianism in all its forms creates a stronghold of ideas within the individual who adopts it and furthers the basis for what it stands for.

Nine Wakefield High School students share what it means for them to be a vegetarian or vegan and how their decisions have both affected their lives and the lives of those around them.

Featured Vegetarians/Vegans of Wakefield

Rachel Livingston 17. Vegetarian for approximately one year.
Tracy Taylor 18. Vegetarian for approximately one year.
Emily Bubnis 18. Vegetarian for five months.
Kellie Nattress 17. Vegetarian since birth.
Kate Daggett 18. Vegetarian for four years.
Molly Heym 18. Vegetarian for approximately one year.
Bailey Rice 17. Vegetarian for five years.
Katia Bessa 17. Vegetarian for five years. Vegan for nine months.
Dorienne Davis 17. Vegan for one year.

Why did you choose to change your diet to vegetarian/vegan?

“People around me were [becoming] vegetarian, and they helped me transition. I watched Cowspiracy which helped educate me on how bad eating meat is not only for animals but for the earth and our own bodies.” –Rachel Livingston

“I had watched a couple of documentaries on the negative effects eating meat has on your body and the planet. In AP Environmental Science, we learned about how harmful meat can be to both the environment and to the animals themselves.” –Tracy Taylor

“My mom chose to raise me as [a vegetarian] because of her compassion for animals and because she was one. She believed I could grow up perfectly healthy without harming animals.” –Kellie Nattress

“I didn’t want to eat animals any more. The concept of eating animals started to disgust me and I felt like it just wasn’t right.” –Bailey Rice

“I chose to be vegan because of my morals; I’m against animal cruelty in all forms, and I also believe it’s beneficial for our environment.” –Katia Bessa

“I chose to be vegan because animal agriculture is so harmful to the environment. Meat and dairy products are extremely unhealthy, and animals, as well as people who are involved in the meat and dairy industry, are treated so unfairly, and I didn’t want to continue supporting it.” –Dorienne Davis

What are your beliefs and reasons for it?

“I believe that animals have thoughts and feelings the same as we humans do, and we should not take advantage of them. They can’t fend for themselves like we can, so I just dont think its fair.” –Rachel Livingston

“Being vegetarian not only makes the planet healthier but also makes me eat healthier and be more conscientious of what I eat.” –Tracy Taylor

“Not only does becoming vegetarian affect me, but it affects the environment and our footprint. Many people may not realize or care about the meat industry and the environmental impact it has.” –Emily Bubnis

“I don’t believe humans have a higher worth than animals which I think a lot of people believe.” –Kellie Nattress

“I went vegetarian for animal rights reasons because I feel that we don’t have the right to take innocent lives for our own use.” –Kate Daggett

“I don’t understand how people can place not only their importance as a species over another but put more value on the life of certain animals, such as dogs and cats, over others, such as pigs and cows.” –Molly Heym

“I do feel more compassion for all living things other than just human beings since I’ve been vegan.” –Dorienne Davis

What impact do you feel it has made on you?
“It has made me look at the world differently and respect my body more. It’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, and I encourage everyone to at least try it.” –Rachel Livingston

“This change in my lifestyle has prompted me to participate and to help cofound the People for Animal Rights Club at Wakefield. We encourage and spread awareness of animals’ rights.”  –Emily Bubnis

“I’m glad my money doesn’t support harming animals, so hopefully I have saved some lives. I have a lot more compassion for all animals now and I feel like a more peaceful and conscious member of the world.” –Kellie Nattress

“It has inspired me to really take the health and happiness of all living creatures into consideration. I feel better about what is going into my body and where it’s coming from.” –Molly Heym

Additional comments
“I know I have saved a lot of water and land that the meat industry uses as well as helped out the environment with things like methane/CO2 emissions.” –Kellie Nattress

“I wish more people would seriously look at the significant health and lifestyle benefits and the delicious vegetarian and vegan options before they discredit it after all.” –Molly Heym

“Educating people on veganism is extremely important to me.  After knowing all of the facts, it’s up to you what you do with it.” –Dorienne Davis

Strong morals and beliefs have driven many young millennials to change their lifestyles to more environmentally conscious and animal sensitive diets. These featured students, along with many others at Wakefield High School, have made the cognizant choice to adapt a life of food awareness and environmental consideration.