Varsity Basketball sets goals for winter season

Hannah Chaya, Editor-in-Chief

Throughout the summer the basketball players spent their time in the weight room conditioning for the upcoming season. Although last year’s record was not as great as the team wanted, this year is likely to be different. With different approaches, they plan on building a strong team from their tryout selections.

“I think we will have a big improvement on last season,” said CTE teacher and Coach Garrett Stevens. “We have a good group of guys that have worked all summer long.”

When choosing potential players, the coaches look for specific attributes when evaluating the student.

“We look for the fit,” Stevens. “They’re a good student, they act right in the classroom, have basketball talent, and how they can fit our team together.”

This year’s varsity coach is Mickey Bissette and he is well-received.

“Coach Bissette really promotes team work and being together over winning,” said senior Connor McGinnis. McGinnis has been playing basketball here at Wakefield since his freshman year.

With set goals, the team believes they can be successful if they make the team a family.

“We’ve set goals to be no less than top three in the Cap 8,” said junior Phillip Protz. “We’re just looking to have a better team before winning games. Winning games comes after a good foundation for the team. If you enjoy what you’re doing with everybody, it’s all going to work out in the end.”

In order for it to work out in the end, the Wolverines will be up against tough teams including Wake Forest, Heritage, and Millbrook.

Being a family is a priority for the players and they believe that if they work together as a family they can accomplish anything.

“My expectations are very good and very high,” said senior Julian Graves. “I think that everyone is looking forward to working together so I think we’re going to be successful.”