Students Prepare to Compete for Brain Game

The Brain Game team will compete against St.David’s and Durham School of the Arts on November 15, 2014.

Staff Photo by Dominique Palmer

The Brain Game team is prepared to represent Wakefield.

Dominique Palmer, Business Editor

For Wakefield’s Brain Game Team, academics is important. The Brain Game operates under the leadership of Dorothy Corrigan, Media Specialist who assists students in preparing for a competition involving nine categories:  Pop Up Culture, Headliners, Word Power, Arts & Crafts, Name Game, Crunching Numbers, Rocket Science, Globetrotting, and Across America.

The Brain Game will compete against Durham School of the Arts and St. David’s School on Saturday, November 15, at WRAL studios which will be taped and broadcasted on WRAL News on Fox. The play-off rounds are on January 24, 2015; February 21, 2015; and March 21, 2015. The championship round is on April 11th, 2015.

Brain Game’s plan is to have students who know information about the categories and have more teammates in case there is a need for substitution.

“We were lucky enough to get some great, well-rounded students that know quite a bit about different subject areas such as Science, History, and Literature,” said  Corrigan. “We’re going to work on getting extra teammates if someone can’t make it.”

Brain Game had a strong team last year, but strategy got the best of them.

“We had a good team last year but they were outplayed by strategy,” Corrigan said.

Team members are excited to show what Wakefield has to offer in knowledge.

“I feel pretty excited to represent Wakefield and Protect the ‘W’,” said Justin Chitla, a senior and Brain Game team member.

Members are also excited to be broadcasted on television.

“I’m really excited about it,” said Michael Sawh, a senior and Brain Game team member, “It will be cool to be on TV.”

Members may be nervous, but it should be an enjoyable experience.

“ I may be nervous the day of [the competition], but I think it will be fun,” said Tyler Goldberger, a senior and team member of Brain Game.

Like an athletic event, Brain Game gives high schoolers the chance to compete in a friendly competition.

“It brings smart people together for a friendly competition,” Sawh said.

Brain Game tests teenagers to show how skilled they are in the categories .

“I think it’s fun to have that trivia aspect,” Goldberger said. “Trivia like Brain Game gives everyone a chance to show their skill.”

Brain Game also represents a chance to give the school good publicity.

“Brain Game is important because we can represent our school in a positive way,” Chitla said.

Participating in this event gives the members a chance to prove that Wakefield students are good competitors.

“We want people to know that students of Wakefield High can compete with the best of anybody else’s students,” Corrigan said.