Seniors show what they’ve got at this year’s talent show

The senior talent show takes place this Thursday, May 23rd at 11 am in the Auditorium

Staff Photo by Ashley Masingale

Seniors, Brianna Williams (right) and Hubs Muhammad (left) practice before the senior talent show.

Emily Silver-Campbell, Staff Writer

From prom to graduation, and the class picnic, seniors in high school have tons of exciting events to look forward to: a stark change of pace from stressful junior year.  Out of all the events that seniors partake in, the king of them all is Senior Day. One of the main events that takes place on Senior Day is the senior talent show.

“It is definitely one of the most exciting parts of Senior Day because you get to see your classmates talents,” Cassidy Layne, senior and current president of the Student Government Association, said.

The senior talent show is a chance for seniors to show off their various skills to their classmates. The talent show is also a tradition at Wakefield High School, the annual event taking place every Senior Day. This year it will be held on May 23.

“I have been supervising the talent show for four years now, but before me, it was already in existence,” Christina Goodson, supervisor of the senior talent show, said.

To participate in the show, seniors must first audition in front of their peers. It is important that no acts with profanity or anything inappropriate are allowed, and an audition is a perfect way to prevent from that happening.

There is a process to putting the talent show together by hard-working senior members of Student Government Association. The members are responsible for advertising, finding dates to hold auditions and judging the auditions.

“I just make sure that everyone looks great at what they are doing and that it will be a great show,” Peyton Wright, senior, said.

Staff Photo by Ashley Masingale
Senior, Kyle Harris rocks the stage while rehearsing his talent show performance.

Although senior Student Government Association members put in lots of work, it is also very rewarding. Members get to finally be a part of an event that they had only heard about as underclassmen.

“I’m actually really excited, because I have seen so many kids walk around school and I had no idea they were capable of so many talents,” Katlin Peterson, senior, said.

A wide array of talents can be expected at the talent show. From large spectacles to quiet surprises, all are welcome. One of the craziest performances was a student that solved Rubik’s cubes at lightning speed.

“We always get a lot of singing. There are a lot of talented singers in the senior class; dancing, instrument playing, that’s the majority. Every now and then we will get a cool, odd talent,” Goodson said.