The Howler

Filed under News, Showcase

Mistletoe Market brings cheer, opportunities to community

Volunteers+help+out+with+the+bake+sale+at+Mistletoe+Market.+
Volunteers help out with the bake sale at Mistletoe Market.

Staff Photo by Chase Cofield

Staff Photo by Chase Cofield

Mistletoe Market brings good cheer and joy to the Wakefield community by showcasing local craftsmen and business owners. On November 9, Wakefield High School was transformed into a magical holiday craft fair. An event filled with fun, merchandise, and food with vendors from all over North Carolina. Proceeds from the fair go directly to the school’s programs, clubs, and events. Dozens of volunteers, students, parents, faculty, and community members help put together Mistletoe Market year after year.

“Angel Tree really benefits the community because it allows people to understand that some people, even in our Wakefield community, are struggling financially and do need help,” Senior Samantha Sheffe said. “It allows people to donate to them and understand that those problems do face our community as well as many others.”

Mistletoe Market offers students opportunities to get hours for their honor societies and clubs. Sheffe has been at Mistletoe Market since freshmen year and got involved by volunteering because of National Honor Society.

Junior Olivia Watson worked for FCCLA and has been coming to Mistletoe Market for three years.

Staff Photo by Chase Cofield
Students helping with canned food donations at Mistletoe Market.

“I first accidentally just went to school because I saw all the cars and wondered what was happening,” Watson said. “So I went to look. Then I realized it was this big shopping thing and I kinda fell in love. Now I buy all my Christmas presents from here.”

Mistletoe Market is also a great place for clubs to gather funds and show their faces to the community. FCCLA officer Brittney Rodriguez says that’s exactly what they are doing at their table; raising funds for the organization and selling sweet treats on the side also.

“I am an officer of FCCLA and we’re fundraising for our club, all proceeds go to our club. If you give us a dollar for a raffle ticket you get the chance to win a $100 gift card to Starbucks, Target, Walmart, Chick-fil-a. And you also get a chance to buy some treats if you’re interested,” Rodriguez said. “This is my first time here and it’s really fun and interesting. When I first walked in, I was overwhelmed, I thought it was going to be small and cute. It’s really great, all these people here they get an opportunity to see local businesses, get to know people, and buy things.”

The vendors are also a big part of Mistletoe Market, without them, there wouldn’t be a Mistletoe Market. The owner of Celestial Cocoa Company Dawn Witherspoon was selling her wares at Mistletoe Market for the first time this year. She talks about all the work small business owners have to put in to make their business successful.

“We have different cocoa, I sew the bags, I even print my own tags,” said Witherspoon. “I’m making a small batch at a time, individually crafted. I loved the atmosphere. It’s great, I love that everything crafted. When you have crafters spread the joy of what they make it’s great.”

Mistletoe Market is a place where even young crafters can share their wares and help organizations that are important to them. Brooke Carrick is selling her clay sculptures to raise money for sea turtle organizations around the world.

“A lot of people think it’s really cool and want to help the cause,” said Carrick.  “Doing art is fun for me and it just helps raise money for a lot of organization that a lot of people care about.”

Artisan goods are sold at Mistletoe Market for reasonable prices. Dan Root and his partner in woodworking, Bob George, have been giving their wares to friends for years and just recently decided to sell them. They love that their hobby makes people smile.

“Anytime you have things like this [Mistletoe Market], a lot of people come not only for the reputation of the event but because it’s a great community event, a great time to get Christmas presents,” Root said.

“Wakefield High School PTA does a wonderful job at this.””

— Root

The most important part of Mistletoe Market is the good it does for the community as a whole. Caroline Miles, a local teacher, summarises the event perfectly.

“ I think it builds community and it’s great seeing people that you know from around Wakefield. You could always support people trying to make it in the business world and it’s just a fun event for everybody.”