Art students advance in the Scholastic Art Competition

Staff Photo by Chase Cofield

Art on display at Scholastic Art Competition.

Chase Cofield, Staff Writer

Three art students at Wakefield hope to win big at the national scholastic art competition. The scholastic art competition is a prestigious competition for students with extraordinary talent in art and writing all over the country. It has been running for 92 years, which makes it even more impressive. Colton Valentino took home two gold keys for drawing and mixed media, Hieu Hoang received an honorable mention for her painting portfolio, and Brynn Carrick was awarded silver key for sculpturing.

This competition means a great deal to the students who participated, as it provides scholarship opportunities when applying for colleges. Students get to participate as juniors and seniors once their artwork has reached its highest potential.

When asked about the competition’s importance to Wakefield and the art students, art teacher, Dawn Valentino explained its meaning.

“[The Scholastic Art Competition] brings the art students together, makes them feel proud of their work and also allows the students to become recognized on a regional and national level, which often leads to scholarship opportunities,” said Valentino.

The art students have prepared for this competition for years with instruction from art teachers Mrs. Valentino and Ms. King.

For the three art students involved, their placement in the highly competitive competition came as a shock.

“I was a little bit surprised and I feel really lucky,” said senior Hieu Hoang.

When asked what she looks forward to now after her placement in the Scholastic Art Competition, junior Brynn Carrick said, “I’m looking forward to future competitions and making more sculptures”.

The students hope that the competition will allow them to receive scholarships to attend college. Some of the students want to make art a passionate, lifelong career.

Hoang plans to attend college to study pharmaceuticals, but will also minor in art. Carrick has received a full-ride to Stetson University where she will play beach volleyball and major in art. Senior Colton Valentino is looking forward to to getting a scholarship to attend Savannah College of Art and Design.

Regardless of who wins the art competition, Valentino is excited to see the selections from her students being picked.
“I look forward to seeing the selections of the artworks,” said Valentino. “Finding those little diamonds to put in, and seeing the kids get excited that their work is selected is a real honor.”