Canines in Uniforms

Staff Photo by Cameron Osiecki

A classroom’s donation box begins to fill up.

Alexa Cook, Community Editor

Wakefield is known for their yearly food drives and support of local organizations. However, this year students are taking a turn for the better by stepping out of our comfort zones to support the nation’s troops and their canines on duty.

Wakefield’s FFA is supporting the whole idea of sponsoring soldiers and their canines. The student who put it all together was senior Kinnidy Coley,  FFA’s secretary.

“The fundraiser is going to help multiple dog teams wherever they are stationed,” said Coley. “Anyone can help through either physical or monetary donations.”

Since the whole fundraiser began rather suddenly, the FFA has been trying to get the word out to enhance the cause.

“Donation boxes will be in all participating classrooms,” said Coley. “There is a contest based on which class receives the most donations which is ending tomorrow (Friday) but the donations will continue through the week of March 1st.”

Supplies are limited to a few basic things. Keeping the donations small and easy to use are best.

“Treats, dog toys, beds and dog goggles are some of the items you can donate for the dogs,” said Coley. “For the men you can get snacks, playing cards, and any other small entertainment items. Just keep in mind that the dog treats must be made in America.”

Since the fundraiser has already begun, efforts are in high demand.

“FFA week is this week (February 22nd through the 26), and this is when the fundraiser begins,” said Coley. “It’s equally important to keep in mind that we are here to serve the fellow men and women working to protect our country.”

Since not many people know about the fundraiser for soldiers and their dogs, the FFA is allowing students to come directly to Mrs. Riedel’s room for donations.

“If any student is interested in donating and has not been informed of it in their classes, come to room 316 and we’ll be happy to share any information with you concerning the matter,” said president of the FFA, Matthew Dwyer.

Hopefully, by the end of the next two weeks, all of the hard work and effort from donating students will pay off.

“Our goal is to support people outside of our zip code,” said animal science teacher, Kelly Durdock. “We are preparing our rooms for lots of donation and await expectantly.”