Winter guard performs with pride

Francesca Scarrone

More stories from Francesca Scarrone

Staff Photo by Francesca Scarrone

Jena Phillips practices her routine.

After an incredible start with the Raleigh Christmas parade, the winter guard is already training for other achievements.  

“It would be fantastic to make finals at World Championship”, said Coach Shannon Proctor. “However, that is not our primary reason for doing [winter guard.]”

In fact, the main goal for the coach is to train students to display a performance that they will be proud to present to audiences.

“The performances are the main reason why I like doing this,” said senior Captain Jena Phillips. “You can show other people what you have been working on.

Guard  performances consist of choreography with equipment such as flags, rifles, and sabres. They are about 30-39 inches long and can be made of plastic or metal. All the scenographic objects are used to demonstrate the team’s technical ability.

Guard, as any other art, went through some changes in the past years.  

“This activity constantly evolves, much like fashion, so choreography and staging that was awesome five years ago, may be old and less competitive now,” said Proctor. “Our job is to continue to train our students and keep trying to reinvent ourselves and show designs.”

Unfortunately, not all changes are good for the activity.

“The focus has shifted from crazy tricks and harder choreography to much simpler ideas and tricks,” said Proctor. “We always like to challenge our performers and teach them amazing new things.”

Similarly, the students noticed many changes since they first joined guard.

“When you start in middle school you feel like ‘Oh wow, I’m actually doing a flag toss!’ When you get older, it gets more challenging and much harder,” said junior Captain Lyn Ebron. “You get to use more equipment and do higher tosses.”

Even if the time spent practicing may be too much for many students, it also helps with building strong relationship among the members of the team.

“We’re normally here doing guard just as much as we’re home with our families,” said Phillips.

Most guard members share this sentiment:

“It’s like a second family,” said senior Captain Ashlyn Jones. “We’re really connected.”

This year, the team is composed of 16 students with six new members. At Wakefield, the team offers two levels: maroon, for more experienced members and silver, for new performers. The first group will compete in Open class, regionals, and nationals, but the new members will compete at local show only.

Both levels require intense dedication, but the students agree it is certainly worth it.

“Just going into Worlds and watching all the other guards from different states and countries is really cool,” said Jones.

Many competitions require traveling and sometimes there is the chance to have fun in places that are far away from home.

“Two years ago we all went to Disney World together because we had Originals in Florida,” said Phillips, “It was super fun.”

“Guard is a big commitment” said Phillips. “It’s really challenging but it’s totally worth it.”