Straight outta Wakefield 2016

Seniors focus on preparing for life after high school

Photo by Francesca Scarrone

Senior, Noah Robinson prepares to take on college.

Alexa Cook, Community Editor

Head in the clouds, unending happiness, day dreams and cotton candy…the awe and terror of high school is ending, a new era is beginning, and senior year is finally here. Only six months to go. For many students, Wakefield is a second home; for others it has been nothing more than a prison cell. The beginning of senior year may seem blissful at first, but reality hits just a few months in. College applications are never ending, maintaining good grades becomes a tedious drag, and waking up in the morning is like attempting to rouse an ogre.

Senioritis is a condition many senior high school students experience. Procrastination takes over body and mind as students begin skipping school, arriving late, and sleeping in class. One senior, Kerry Sullivan, states that in the beginning weeks of senior year, she had high anticipation for the year.

“This summer I was actually looking forward to going back to school,” Sullivan said. “Now I am ready to just get the year over with.”

Sullivan, however, has high goals set for her future.

“I know exactly what I want to do; I want to be a geospatial engineer,” said Sullivan. “The hardest thing about preparing for my career so far has been taking the SAT and ACT because I am so bad at standardized testing.”

Seniors have a lot to balance during their final year of high school. Stress following the application process can lead to high pressure and uncertainty.

English teacher Susen Douglass has a positive outlook on the future of her students.

“I know many seniors are eager but also very anxious about their future plans,” said Douglass. “They are uncertain as to what is expected in their college essays. We, as teachers really want you to succeed, it just requires some extra effort. Parents play an immense role in the graduation process. Their expectations and personal levels of education can be a huge motivation for students.”

One factor that can help students succeed in college is applying for scholarships and financial aid.

“Last year only eight students applied for a ten thousand dollar grant to use towards college, that’s less than two percent of the entire graduating class,” said Douglass. “Take advantage of as many scholarships you can.”

Counselors and teachers alike stress the importance of being prepared for college before the time to submit applications arrives.

“A dollar is a dollar and you have to keep that in mind,” said school Counselor Jasmine Alston. “Sign up for college visits, research where you would most like to attend, and have a brief idea of what field you would like to study in.”

When contemplating the future, you don’t have to have everything figured out. Some things will simply fall into place as long as one keeps an open mind.

“Something many people don’t know is that it is not necessary to have the next sixty years of your life planned out,” said Alston. “You will change your mind a hundred times which is to be expected. Just keep in mind that grades are still important during the last year of high school.”

Another student, Senior Duwane Ellis expressed readiness for the last year of his high school career to come to an end.

“I’m going into the military so I really could care less about being here,” said Ellis. “The only reason I’m still here is because in order to go into the military, I have to have a diploma in hand.”

While some students wish to pursue particular studies like medicine or engineering, others may have different plans in mind. All are equally important to each individual.

“What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become,” said Sullivan. “Make the most of your senior year and enjoy it as much as you can.”