Wakefield football clashes with rival Wake Forest

Wakefield played rival Wake Forest on homecoming night, lost 16-3.

Staff Photo by Cameron Osiecki

The Homecoming court is announced during halftime at the varsity football game.

Austin White, Staff Writer

Wakefield’s season took an unexpected turn in week three when the team took down ranked opponent Southern Durham. The win fueled the team to win three straight games, including wins against Riverside, Sanderson, and Enloe. Friday’s Homecoming game against rival Wake Forest High School could have extended the streak to 4 wins, and provide that extra fuel to finish the season strong. However, the Wolverines could not come out with a victory.,

Wakefield and Wake Forest have been rivals ever since Wakefield opened in 2000,  and have seen many college and professional players play in these games. Connor Mitch, Nigel King, Justin Fieulleteau, Bryce Love, and Tye Smith. Now the new stars of the rivalry, Marius Cooper, Matt McKay, and Dexter Lawrence will be the key players in their team’s success not only for the rivalry but the rest of the season.

Wake Forest won the game 16-3, but Wakefield put up a good fight. Wake Forest scored in the first quarter to go up 7 to 0 and didn’t again score until the fourth quarter. Wakefield kicked a field goal early in the fourth but fell even more behind after a safety. Marquis Dunn scored the only two touchdowns for the cougars, a rush from 14 yards out and a 63 yard reception. Michael Tilley kicked a field goal for Wakefield.

Prior to the game, Coach Sink admitted this was a huge game for the team.

“No doubt this is the biggest game of the season,” said Head Coach Rod Sink. “We are playing an undefeated team and have a chance to make our mark in the conference or go behind in it.”

The game was Homecoming, and it’s usually against the biggest opponent of the season. Many are expecting the biggest turnout of the season.

“Playing on homecoming night and against our rivals makes it a huge game,” said Sink. “I expect a big turnout and a great game.”

With this being the Homecoming game, the excitement will carry into halftime. Students voted in school for the Homecoming king and queen for freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors. The winners were announced during halftime along with a performance from Color Guard.

Our opponent, Wake Forest, is coming into the game undefeated and fresh off last seasons runner up state championship season. Even with many seniors leaving from last season, many returning starters and seniors are shining this season, including the 3rd ranked player in the country Dexter Lawrence.

Prior to the game, Praise God addressed how Wakefield would prepare for Lawrence and Wake Forest.

“We are going to have to prepare for him,” said senior Praise God, offensive linemen on the team. “But he is just one player and we can’t focus all on him, even though he is a really good player.”

This game can show that Wakefield can compete with great teams, before the game coach Rod Sink explained how important the game was.

“Our team has a chance to do better than last years game at Wake Forest,” said Sink. “We played good at some points but played poorly a lot of times, now we have a chance to show we can keep up with the best talent in the state.”