Swing by Dexter Cooley’s golf tournament

Community supports fundraiser for former WHS Athletic Director

Photo Courtesy of Melissa Thomas

Dexter Cooley along with his wife, Nancy and sons, Michael and Phillip received the check raised after the golf tournament in his honor.

Hannah Chaya, Editor-in-Chief

Recently, Wakefield’s previous Athletic Director, or A.D., Dexter Cooley, took on one of the most challenging battles of his life- his fight against colon cancer. This past Sunday, October 26, a golf tournament was held at the Olde Liberty Golf Club to honor and support Cooley’s fight against cancer. This event was not strictly for golfers, instead, this event welcomed all members of the community to come together and celebrate Cooley’s legacy.

As many know, Cooley had been Wakefield’s A.D. since 2000. Initially, Cooley did not know that his fellow colleagues collaborated to coordinate the event, but he explained his complete and utter gratitude for their doings.

I was absolutely ecstatic that Coach Riggleman, Coach Kennedy, and Coach Blackburn would actually take home such a feat to help me out financially with this situation,” said Cooley. “It is so much appreciated.”

The coaches, as well as the Wakefield Booster Club, spent an exceptional amount of time preparing for the event, however, they credit their success to the community.

“The community’s been so good and their support is overwhelming,” said A.D. Rick Riggleman. “Whether it be financially or prizes, the community has shown us so much support. We’ve had prizes from free Chick-Fil-A for a year, to other things, such as golf tournaments, and limo services.

Coach Danielle Blackburn expressed her hopes for the upcoming event. Blackburn is one of the many people who have been influenced by Cooley over the years.

“When he [Cooley] gets there and he sees everybody that’s involved, playing golf, and showing their support, I think it will be very moving for him,” said Blackburn. “So many people have called just to offer their support for him and their help. It’s been amazing to see how many people have been involved just by reaching out and helping any way they can.”

Blackburn has been coaching alongside Cooley since 2000 as well. Interestingly enough, Cooley coached Blackburn when she was a freshman in high school. Since then, Blackburn has built a friendship with Cooley that will last a lifetime. Although she was upset to see Cooley leave, she went on to explain how he benefitted from retiring.

“While we were all upset to see him go, we were still happy for him to go to the next chapter in his life,” said Blackburn. “He’s been working for 37 years, and he’s put so much time in so I’m sure it’s rewarding for him to be able to retire and do what he enjoys.”

Upon Cooley’s retirement, Riggleman, Cooley’s previous assistant, became Wakefield’s A.D.

Riggleman described the support he has received accompanying this transition, especially from Cooley.

“He’s been really supportive in this transition with things I didn’t know,” said Riggleman. “It’s nice having him across the hall because I can say, ‘Hey Dexter, what do I need to do with this,’ so it’s not like he’s no longer around. It’s good to have him to fall back on when I don’t know how to do something.”

Riggleman explained that his friendship with Cooley will not stop now that they are no longer coworkers.

“We still do a lot of things outside of work together, too,” said Riggleman. “The friendship aspect will always be there, even if he didn’t continue being a driving instructor here.”

Without a doubt, Cooley’s influence on Wakefield has left many in awe.

He’s just been so great to work for,” said Blackburn. “He’s such a good guy, and he’s so good with the kids, the parents, and the coaches. I think his legacy is just the way that he treats people and the way that he deals with people, and to me, that is better than anyone else I’ve seen.”

All in all, Cooley has left an everlasting effect on the staff and students here at Wakefield. When asked how he felt about the event, Cooley went on to explain that:

“You would think that I would probably be looking forward to the financial aspect of it,” said Cooley. “Which,  I am happy to see, but what I’m really looking forward to is seeing old friends, some of which I haven’t seen in many years. The love I have received can’t be put it into words. There is no way I can describe to you the feeling of support I have got from the people here in the Wakefield community. It’s been far beyond my expectations. I didn’t know people could be so nice.”