Experiencing the culture of the North Carolina State Fair

Staff Photo by Kate Meikle

The ferris wheel at the State fair stands tall among the other attractions.

Kate Meikle, Copy Editor

The month of October always introduces one of most significant fall festivities to the Raleigh-Durham area: The NC State Fair. Thousands of men, women, and children flood the NC State Fairgrounds each year to take part in agrarian and carnival-like pastimes.

The Wakefield community participates in the State Fair through the FFA, which promotes agricultural education by practicing leadership and organizational skills. This year, the FFA will exhibit a barn to inform visitors about farm life, discuss important agricultural facts, and notify the public about farming.

“Just getting to be a part of something big is awesome,” said Lindsay Parker, junior and FFA student member. “Feeling like we’re doing something more than just keeping our FFA organization at our school is pretty great.”

One of the most important subjects that FFA will be discussing is a very significant rural disease that is active right now: the Avian Flu, a rare yet deadly disease once it is contracted by humans. As a part of the FFA’s barn exhibit, they are going to inform the masses about the avian flu, its effects, and how it can be prevented.

“We are going to teach people how it [the avian flu] is contracted and how you can prevent it,” said Kelly Durdock, animal science teacher. “This is the biggest thing we are going to talk about this year due to its importance.”

The FFA’s relationship with the fair and the valuable information they spread regarding the health of the population has truly been influential. Through relations with people in FFA and the community, many people from Wakefield have been inspired to attend the fair with their friends and family and take part in this cultural experience.

Members of the Wakefield community have come out to the fair year after year to support this popular local event. There are many aspects about the fair that attract visitors, and they almost all represent some of the finest features of North Carolina.

Whether it’s the rides, food, games, or agriculture exhibits, there seems to be something for everyone at the State Fair. The fair has become a memorable pastime for many individuals across the state who all look forward to this event each time it comes around.

“The NC State Fair is something I look forward to every year,” said senior Ashley Lewis. “It’s something that everyone comes together for.”

Although most people come to the fair with friends and family to continue tradition, others attend the fair to be introduced to new facets and attractions each year.

“I have noticed some safety changes,” said Lewis. “Some of the more dangerous rides have been changed or taken out. Also the food has become more absurd and different because people are trying new things each year.”

Students are not the only people who love attending the fair each year, teachers at Wakefield also enjoy spending time with their families at this event.

As for math teacher Robin Brown, she and her family have been attending the fair since she was in sixth grade. Brown has continued attending the fair in recent years because the distinctive aspects and traditions have brought her back every year.

When asked what her favorite part of the fair is, Brown replied by saying, “Caramel apples!”

Although caramel apples are a tradition not intended to leave the fair anytime soon, Brown admits that she has seen a lot of changes, including increased security, different exhibits, and new rides and food.  Since she first attended the fair as a child, there have been many changes, but a lot of common attractions are still included.

“I’ve seen the fair change a lot over time,” said Brown. “There are stricter security and the exhibits have changed a lot. But there are also some of the things that have always been there, like the Village of Yesteryear and the Dorton Arena.”

The NC State Fair has brought people together throughout time, and even though there have been alterations, it still displays the unique customs of North Carolina.

“It’s just really a cool experience,” said Brown. “There are so many things that’ll always be there and some things that will be different; it’s neat to attend each year.”