Partridge leaves a lasting legacy at Wakefield

Wakefield remembers Melissa Partridge and the impact she made on the lives of many.

Jenni Goldstein, Features Editor

IMG_1327 (1)Photo Courtesy of 2014-2015 yearbook
In August of 2015, Wakefield suffered the loss of freshman history teacher Melissa Partridge.  Partridge was a widely known teacher at both Wakefield North and Main Campus who impacted students and faculty at the school.

English teacher Emmanuel Lipscomb was one of many teachers who found a friend in Partridge.

“We would call each other’s room back and forth during class and just say silly things, or stop by each other’s room when we were on planning,” Lipscomb said.  “So it was very clear to the students that we liked each other a lot and we were good friends, but also that teachers aren’t always grumpy; that some have this sort of joy to them.”

Many students were easily able to connect with Partridge.  Lipscomb believes this was on account of her difficult past and ability to overcome the obstacles in her life with a smile.

“She had a hard life growing up,” said Lipscomb. “So I think for a lot of the students who have complicated family lives, come from impoverished homes or have had to deal with adult things at a really young age, she connected with them in a way that no one else could.”

Partridge overcame many hardships in her life, including the death of both of her brothers.  However, despite all of these obstacles, she remained kind and compassionate toward all of her students.

“I think that one of the things that people will remember about her is the love she had but also just the joy that she could bring,” Lipscomb said.

English teacher Amelia Miano became close friends with Partridge in the 2007-2008 school year when she began teaching at Wakefield.  Being from New Jersey, Miano was easily able to relate to Partridge, who was originally from New York.  She admires Partridge’s views on life and attitude toward her students.

“[Partridge] had a great attitude toward life,” Miano said.  “She had this positive outlook of everyone being a beautiful individual.”

Miano admired Partridge’s ability to connect with her students on a personal level with genuine love and care.

“She touched a lot of student’s lives in the sense where she understood what was going on with them if it was a personal matter between parents, between friends or with other teachers,” said Miano.  “I think just her level of empathy is something that will always be remembered.”

Sophomore Nicole Mayakis had Partridge during the 2014-2015 school year.  Having Partridge as a teacher so recently preceding her death, Mayakis was able to recall quite a lot about her.

“Ms. Partridge had a huge impact on my life,” said Mayakis.  “As a student, she taught me that school and learning new material doesn’t have to be power points, it can be anything that helps you learn best.”

Partridge won the hearts of many students through her compassion and eagerness to keep others happy.

“She used to tell my class that if you were having a bad day to try and move on, because there are so many memories you will make in the future,” Mayakis said. “Everyone should know that Ms. Partridge was an extraordinary woman and that we all wish she was still with us.”

Senior Nicole Hill reflected on her freshman year and the memories she had of Partridge.

“She was definitely one of my favorite teachers,” said Hill.  “I remember her because she was always really fun to have in class.”

Partridge will always be remembered for the joy she brought to both the students and faculty at Wakefield.

“She was a really nice person who faced a lot of difficulty in her life,” said Hill.  “I think [Wakefield] will remember her passion for teaching and making learning fun for students.”