Retiring teachers reflect on their journeys

Teachers planning to retire  reflect on their careers and future.

Graphic by Justin G. Belmonte

Teachers planning to retire reflect on their careers and future.

Justin G. Belmonte, Staff Writer

As the school year of 2021-2022 comes to an end, and the summer break approaches, teachers are given the opportunity to either continue in their current position, transfer to a new school, or retire. Three teachers at Wakefield High School plan to retire from teaching once this school year ends and start the next chapter of their lives in retirement.

James Doyle has been a teacher for over 25 years and has been at Wakefield since 2003 as a teacher for Special Education and Math departments. He has also coached the school’s basketball and golf teams. Doyle believes that his experience as a teacher and a coach has made him grow as a person.

“[I] manage to grow and understand more as a person for how things work,” Doyle said, “[I] grew as a teacher with learning new curriculums and doing different things like that.”

Gloria Wiggins has been a teacher since 1997 as an Instructional Assistant for kids with special needs. Nearing her retirement, she discusses what she is going to miss most.

“I’m going to miss my coworkers and just getting up early in the morning to go to work,” Wiggins said.

Mary Bynum, who has been teaching for over 20 years, as part of the Behavioral Support Team, discusses her favorite part of being a teacher that helps students with problems relating to mental health.

“It was extremely rewarding to know that I am making a difference and impacting other peoples’ lives,” Bynum said.

The best teachers are the ones who are able to connect and engage with students in lessons.

Doyle discusses what is the best quality necessary for being a teacher.

It was extremely rewarding to know that I am making a difference and impacting other peoples’ lives.

— Bynum

“You have to have a lot of patience with students,” Doyle said. “Even with tough kids, you have to have patience with them.”

Wiggins discusses what it’s like working with special needs kids.

“It’s very hands-on when working with special needs kids than other classes,” Wiggins said, “It takes a special kind of person to do so and it feels good helping them out.”

Bynum gives advice to others who want to be a teacher like her.

“You have to be committed, know what you do,” Bynum said, “I made every student I work with feel like family, and remember every child is different and you need to [be able to understand] every child.”

Wiggins described what it takes to be a teacher when working with kids with special needs.

“You have to be patient, it takes a lot of patience, especially when working with special needs kids,” Wiggins said.

As Doyle looks to retirement he reflects on his passion for the job.

“The students,” Doyle said, “I kept [teaching] for the students and helped them be able to graduate and be successful in life.”