Students Stay or Go for Lunch

Staff Photo by Dominique Palmer

Unless working with teachers is an option, underclassmen find themselves in the commons during lunch.

Dominique Palmer, Business Editor

While freshmen and sophomores have only two choices when it comes to what to eat for lunch, for upperclassmen more choices abound.  They can go home for lunch, go to a restaurant, or stay on campus.  Besides the old bringing a bagged lunch or eating from the cafeteria, upperclassmen must decide how they should best spend their time and their money.

Juniors and seniors have the privilege of going off campus for lunch if they receive an off-campus lunch pass. These students got the chance to voice their opinion on whether they like staying on school campus for lunch or going off campus.

Of the juniors and seniors interviewed three out of four preferred going off campus instead of staying on campus. One out of four interviewed preferred staying on campus.

Some high schools in Wake County do not offer the option of going off campus for lunch. The students who have this privilege prefer off-campus lunch because they enjoy the freedom that comes with it.

“It’s generally just a freedom thing,” said senior Tyler Robinson, “especially being able to eat wherever you want if you have a car and can get there fast enough. You do have to worry about a time crunch, but people don’t really have a problem with it.”

There also is variety of lunch plans to choose from when you eat off campus.

“You don’t have to eat the food [at school for] lunch,” said junior Shaquan Richardson. “You have a variety of eating whatever you want.”

Leaving school for lunch can also open opportunities for networks with friends.

“I prefer to go off campus for lunch because I can make lunch plans and catch up with people I lost contact with,” said senior Jacqueline Fernandez.

These students also enjoy the benefit of relaxing from the school environment.

“You get to leave the school atmosphere,” said junior Anna Thompson. “You can also go home.”

Just because the students leave school does not mean they stop being productive. Students also take time to do homework and be frugal other than relaxing.

“I get to go home, and relax, do homework at home before my fourth period, and save money,” said Fernandez.

Staying on campus can have its benefits, such as being thrifty on money and time.

“[Staying on campus] saves you a lot of money, especially on gas and if you buy food in places such as McDonalds,” said Robinson. “Plus, you get to chill and not have to worry about time like when fourth period starts.”

School lunch, according to some, has gotten better.

“The quality of school lunch has gotten better over the years,” said Richardson, “It’s still not amazing, but it’s pretty good.”

Even though some students think they can get good grades while going off campus for lunch by working on school work, others believe that staying on campus for lunch is better because they get a better understanding of school work.

“You can work on your schoolwork, you can talk to teachers if you don’t understand something, and become scholarly,” said Thompson.