How the W takes over local ice rinks

Wakefield students find paths outside of school to pursue their love of hockey

Photo Courtesy of Colby Peterson

Junior Hurricanes get ready to face off on the ice.

Matt Evans, Online Editor

Wakefield High School plays host to several different sports clubs, including football, soccer and basketball. One sport, however, is not represented among these and students wishing to participate must find other outlets in order to compete. Ice Hockey has had a steadily growing popularity in the past decade with youth thanks to clubs like the East Coast Eagles. Players have many reasons why they seek out these teams.

“It’s a social thing partly because I have a lot of friends that do it with me, and it’s also one of those things that if I’m having a bad day or if I’m stressed,” said Parker Jones a 13 year veteran of the sport. “Hockey calms me down.”

But there are also some challenges that come along with the privilege of playing with these teams. Ice Hockey is one of the more expensive sports that a high school student could pick up and paying for the equipment year after year tends to add up quickly.

“Just the stick alone could cost something of up to $250,” said Jones.

Players have to give up many things in order to completely focus themselves on the sport.

“School is first, obviously, but hockey almost always takes priority over any free time,” said player Colby Peterson.

Traveling is another variable that participants of the hockey league have to manage. Time away from home, money for gas, food and accommodations and the physical/emotional toll that this takes can be high if not managed properly.

Since the team is not sponsored by the school, they lose out on some of the fanfare that comes with playing on a school team. Being cheered on by family and close friends is all well and good, but the attendance that accompanies other school sponsored sports such as basketball or football is hard to compete with.

Overall, Wakefield students seem like they don’t mind too much the fact that the school has no Ice Hockey options as they are happy with the other opportunities presented to them.