Mistletoe Market Shopping Extravaganza

WHS 14th Annual Mistletoe Market; November 15

Brielle Cashdan, Staff Writer

Mistletoe Market Holiday Fair is one of the largest shopping extravaganzas in the Triangle, it’s hosted by Wakefield High on November 15. The Market serves as a great way to get handmade holiday gifts for family and contribute to local schools, as this is the only fundraiser Wakefield holds.

“It’s an opportunity to shop without the hassle of Black Friday crowds,” said parent, DeBora King, “and you can always find something unique.”

Because this is the 14th year, they have over 200 vendors that look forward to the event every year including Old South Birdhouse, The Flower Lady, and Artfully Out Loud Mosaics. The products sold can range from subway signs and metal fire pits to jewelry and monograms—a little something for everyone.

“The 2014 Mistletoe Market has expanded to now include 17 outdoor vendor booths offering everything from reclaimed wood art sculptures and furnishings, to original prints and paintings displayed by the artist, to mosaic sculptures for home and garden,” said vendor coordinator, Lynn Stuchel.

They also offer a variety of foods to satisfy the hunger worked up from shopping. Some of the vendors include Moe’s, Papa John’s, Kona Ice, and Zaxby’s.

Mistletoe Market strives to be more than just a shopping expo, it also serves the community.

“We also always partner with a local charity. This year, it’s the Tri-Area Ministry Food Pantry in Wake Forest, a non-profit organization benefitting local communities for over 30 years. Shoppers can receive $1 off their admission with the donation of a canned/non-perishable food item,” said Kristy Stevenson, publicity coordinator.

Students are also a big part of the event.

“Wakefield students from a variety of honor societies and clubs volunteer to work before, during, and after the show – preparing, promoting, setting up, day-of duties, and taking down. Over 100 students are involved during this time, and they have a great reputation for being courteous and helpful with both vendors and shoppers,” said Stevenson.

Overall the Wakefield Mistletoe Market Holiday Fair brings together the community to make a perfect one-stop shopping venue.

“With an outstanding group of vendors showcasing their talents as crafters and artisans offering handmade arts & crafts; gifts; jewelry; fresh cut wreaths, garland, and Christmas trees from Western NC; a bake sale; basket raffle; and food court, we cover all your holiday shopping needs,” said Stevenson.