Q and A with Mr.Orsett

Theater teacher extraordinare sits down for a chat

Staff Photo by Chloe Pollack

Paul Orsett Theatre Director

Chloe Pollack, Staff Writer

What do you do when you aren’t teaching?

I like to travel, I have rental properties that I maintain and upkeep, I work with a nonprofit organization called the Atlantic Indoor Association for half of the year. They are the third or fourth largest color guard and winter guard circuit in the united states.

What would you be doing if you weren’t a theatre teacher?

Driving trucks or buses. I think I’d rather do buses because there are people.

What do you do for fun?

When I have time I do like cooking. I love going camping and going to amusement parks. Two summers ago I traveled all around and hit 7 different amusement parks. I hit Ohio, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland, Michigan, and Illinois. It was ecstatic. I love roller coasters, I don’t like the bumpy ones or the wooden ones that beat you up, but I do like the fast ones, the loops, the ones that are smooth.

What was the last book you read?

I don’t read a lot of books most of my reading is scripts but the last book I read was the “Song of Spider Man.” I finished it on my cruise. It was a look on the inside from one person’s perspective from what they saw.  

Why do you do what you do?

I was originally a band director and I was very focused on what I wanted to do as soon as I graduated from high school and my goal was to go to ECU get a degree in music then come back and teach band. There were two of us at Northern Ash when I finally graduated. I was there for 10 years than I switched to theatre.

What did you do over summer?

I went to China, I did a cultural exchange program 3 weeks teaching kids 2nd grade through 6th grade and we did a production of Seussical the Musical with 38 Chinese kids.

What life lesson do you think is most important?

Kids can do more than people think they can do.