The Howler

Filed under News

Wakefield students voice opinions on ‘Muslim Ban’

Residents of Raleigh protest the Muslim ban at RDU.

Photo Courtesy of Laraib Awan

As President Trump began his first month in office, the American people had a lot to say about the multitude of changes that have come with a Trump presidency. From defunding International Planned Parenthood to issuing an executive order that bars millions of people residing in seven countries from entering the United States, there hasn’t been a shortage of topics being discussed worldwide.  Most people think of politics as a mature and an “adults-only” matter, but the younger generations, the future of not only our country but our world, have been very involved in voicing their opinions on the President and his actions while in office.

Many people, adults and teens alike, have spoken out against President Trump saying that his executive order to ban immigration into the United States from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen is not only unconstitutional but immoral.

“I think that [the Muslim Ban is] extremely hateful to the point that I can’t really think of a word for it, but I think that it’s awful and it doesn’t represent us as a country at all and it doesn’t represent the voice of the people who live here,” senior Lauren Howell said. “At the same time, I think that the American people speak louder than [President Trump] does, or than the hate does, so I think that it’s time for us to do something about it, especially as millennials since we’re going to be in college.”

The legal aspects of the ban have been argued by the judicial system and civilians alike and many are afraid that the institution of this executive order is a testament to how the next four years of Trump’s presidency will carry out.

“I don’t think it should be legal or constitutional, but they’ll find a way to make it so,” senior Zack Cokas said. “[The country is] not going to progress in a way that I would like to see. I think [President Trump is] going to ruin our relationships with other countries and it’s sad.”

Others haven’t had a problem with President Trump’s ban, trusting his judgment as the leader of the United States.

“From what I’ve heard about it, it’s banning entry into the United States from seven different countries…I don’t really have a problem with it,” junior Benton Haney said. “Because if there’s evidence of these people, and it’s not just Muslims, it can be anyone, not [being] safe to enter our country then I’m fine with that.”

For some, though, President Trump’s executive order hit too close to home and affected their families in a very personal way.

“My grandma was supposed to come to America because she comes all the time and she was [specifically] coming for my graduation and because of [the Muslim Ban] she’s not able to,” senior Farah Heikal said. “The reason people, especially from Muslim countries and any other minority country, come to America is so they aren’t persecuted for their religion, for the freedom of anything…to come here and feel the same kind of hatred that they feel in their country, like with wars and all of that, it’s just sad.”