Class of 2018 dominates in powderpuff football game

Junior girls beat seniors 16 to 12 at annual powderpuff football game last month.

Isabelle Kozubowski

More stories from Isabelle Kozubowski

Staff Photo by Chase Cofield

Juniors and seniors get in formation to play.

With an unprecedented Powerpuff win, the junior girls beat the seniors by four points in Wakefield’s annual powderpuff football game held on October 19.  Many fellow students and parents of the players came out to cheer for the girls, and most had their bets on the senior girls winning.  

In the final quarter, the class of 2018 was up 16 to 12, and they could not have been more excited to win against the upperclassmen.  

“Everyone was really excited,” junior Camryn Jones said.  “We wanted to beat the seniors because it’s their final year.  The coaches got really into it and it felt good knowing that we beat a grade above us.”  

After only two practices before the big game on Thursday, everyone was ready to see who would come out on top.  The coaches, junior and senior football players, taught the girls plays and worked to prepare them for the highly anticipated game.  Likewise, a group of ju

Junior Paige Schepperley getting hyped up for the game.
Staff Photo by Chase Cofield

nior and senior boys acted as cheerleaders by prepared cheers and chants to help hype the girls up during the game.  

At the game, teachers, parents, and students were rooting for the class of 2017, as it was their one and only opportunity to win against the junior girls.  

“We were pretty devastated because we can’t get them next year, but hopefully the sophomore class will beat [the juniors] next year,” Ryan Geary, a senior cheerleader at the game, said. “We have a lot of hype in the 2017 class and I think we had to go out and support the girls as they took on the juniors.”

After the game was over, many people were concerned with how the junior girls had played, saying that they had been more aggressive than necessary.  

“There were some rough moments on both sides, but I thought it was a good game, [the juniors] definitely deserved the win,” Garrett Stevens, a Career and Technical Education teacher at Wakefield and the facilitator of the powderpuff football game, said. “I was rooting for the seniors, but the juniors played better.”

For many of the girls the powderpuff game was a time to be with their friends and have fun .  

“After [I scored] I was cheering with my friends and just being with them, hanging out and having a good time,” Lauren Monroe, a predominant sco

Juniors celebrating their win against the seniors.
Staff Photo by Chase Cofield

rer for the seniors, said.  “I scored twice, two touchdowns.  It didn’t feel good to lose, but the juniors still have one more year [of high school].”