Lives on the line

Guest speaker, Sarah Panzau, along with Wakefield’s Just Think First program, strive to keep students safe behind the wheel.

Jillian Kerzner

More stories from Jillian Kerzner

Jenni Goldstein

More stories from Jenni Goldstein

Staff Photo by Cameron Osiecki

Sarah Panzau poses for the camera after she spoke to Wakefield’s seniors.

Many Wakefield seniors were recently impacted by a touching, yet tragic story told at the senior assembly. The assembly featured a guest speaker, Sarah Panzau, who is living proof of the drastic consequences that can result from poor choices. Panzau survived a drunk driving accident in 2003; however, she still suffers from the loss of her left arm, along with other physical injuries.

Like many other students, Panzau was an extraordinary athlete and a social butterfly. She had a passion for volleyball and showed extreme talent in the sport. Towards the end of her high school career and the beginning of her college years, Panzau started to descend down a dangerous path. One night, after consuming alcohol, Panzau decided to drive herself home. She missed a highway exit and her car rolled four times, ejecting her from the rear window, and landing her in the roadway. Everyday, Panzau is reminded of her bad choice. She strives to educate the public so they do not make the mistake she made.

“She has such a strong message,” said Assistant Principal, Vivian Wells. “There she was, an All-American volleyball player, and she just got involved with the wrong people.”

Panzau now speaks at schools all over the country. She emphasizes the realities of the lifelong consequences she lives with everyday because she made one bad choice.

“It has been her mission to inform the youth just how quickly it can happen,” said Wells.  “Students don’t think about the consequences of their actions when they are drinking and having fun.”

Wakefield has suffered losses from fatal drunk driving accidents in the past, which is why this assembly hit home for a lot of students. Back in 2006, Wakefield lost six students within ten months due to drunk driving accidents. Four students were killed in just one car.  That’s when Wakefield decided to start the Just Think First program to educate teens about the importance of safe driving.

“Just Think First raises awareness for drinking and driving,” said Wells. “The numbers of teenagers dying in car accidents is astronomical, whether it is a result of alcohol or not.”

Not only was the assembly extraordinarily informative, it also was entertaining and sensible. Students learned to think before they act.

“Panzau is very relatable to the seniors,” said Wells. “She is funny, enjoyable, and sends a very important message.”

English teacher and sponsor of the Just Think First Club, Tony Calabria, agreed that having guest speakers like Panzau can have a huge effect on high school students.  Through this, they are able to see the consequences of drunk driving and poor decision-making first hand.  

“[Sarah Panzau] does a great job,” said Calabria.  “A lot of guest speakers in assemblies sometimes go on too long and the kids seem uninterested, but with Panzau, I think that she speaks at their level.  The visual of herself is really powerful.”

Junior Alyssa Sansoucy believes that many teens don’t understand that bad things can happen to anyone, and that they’re no different than any other drunk when behind the wheel.

“I think that teens don’t think that driving drunk is a big deal,” said Sansoucy.  “Teenagers think that they are invincible.  They think that they can’t die in a car crash, and just one drink is fine, and that they’re not as dumb as other people who drink and drive.”

Calabria believes strongly that automobile related accidents are so prevalent in teens because they have a sense of invincibility and act on impulse.  

“[Just Think First] aims to help students understand that there are consequences for making bad decisions,” said Calabria.  “Teens have this sense of being unstoppable.  They think that nothing is going to happen to them.  When in reality, most accidents occur within five miles from home because people feel the most comfortable in that last stretch.”

Senior, Grant Donley is an advocate of the law and following its rules in order to keep both himself and his peers on the road out of harm’s way.   

“Drunk driving can be minimized by continually enforcing the law on teens,” said Donley.  “Just Think First has done a great job informing teens about the danger of drunk driving. More programs like Just Think First can greatly help the situation.”

The key reason that high schools, especially Wakefield High School, have programs like Just Think First and guest speakers like Sarah Panzau, is to keep the students informed that life is fragile and should be treated that way.  Safety awareness is the best way to prevent future tragedies like the many families with teen drivers have experienced in the past.

“As seniors get ready to graduate and leave school, we want them to realize their choices count,” said Dr. Wells. “One bad decision can take away your life.”