Aspiring teachers prepare for the future

Staff Photo by Cameron Osiecki

Helen Vogiatzis is one of the many student teachers at Wakefield High School.

A 2016 report from WUNC North Carolina Public Radio shows that there has been a 30 percent decrease in education department applicants in the past five years. Although this statement is alarming, those aspiring to enter the education field are still able to hold onto the benefits of earning a degree in education, despite the common complaints about the situation for teachers in North Carolina.

“I believe there are a lot of teachers that make huge differences in students’ lives,” said senior, Laura Puyana. “If I become a teacher, that is the influence I want to have. I think if more teachers and aspiring teachers have that mentality, the system can be improved.”

It is no secret that North Carolina does not have the best conditions for teachers. Among the loss of tenure for a majority of teachers, the amount of money that commonly comes out of teachers’ pockets for materials and the elimination of the N.C. Teaching Fellows Program, it is difficult to imagine why there are still students who are interested in going into the education field in the state. Despite these truths, there are still people who admire the state and its assets.

“I love North Carolina,” said senior, Lexi DeFalco. “I think with our access to resources like Research Triangle Park, multiple universities, and hospitals in and around Raleigh, we have many great tools for learning.”

Another motivation for pursuing a career in education is because some individuals feel as though they have the skills suitable for working in the field; their contribution to the field would be of utmost educational gain for students.

“I’ve worked with kids since I was 16 years old,” said DeFalco. “I’ve had a lot of experience working with kindergarteners through third graders, which is the age range I hope to work with. I know good tricks to help children learn in a fun and exciting way.”

Although there do not seem to be apt encouragements for entering the challenging field, especially in this state, future students will suffer tremendously without the services teachers have to offer. Today, school systems are in a desperate need for teachers with not only the qualifications to do the job right, but to teach with a passion and an interest in helping students succeed.

Madison Croffut and Helen Vogiatzis are both student teachers at Wakefield this school year. They are currently students at North Carolina State University majoring in Secondary Mathematics Education.

“What helped me learn [when I was in high school] was knowing that the teachers cared,” said Croffut. “It is one thing for a teacher to just be a teacher, but when they reach out and try to get to know you, it is easy for the student to open up so [the teacher] knows how to help them learn.”

Without a strong education system, many students will be deprived of the basic skills needed to thrive in society. Although there are limited incentives here in North Carolina, many students interested in becoming teachers know that without a sufficient amount of teachers, the result would be detrimental.

“Everyone needs an education, you can’t go anywhere without it,” said Croffut. “Even if you’re going to work at McDonald’s, you need to know basic skills—especially in math.”

It is not only about the curriculum that is taught, education has a lot to do with facing real world situations and problems.

“Students always think they’re not going to use the math they learn in school in the future,” said Vogiatzis. “However, all the logic and the methods on how to learn are what help you in the real world.”

Not only does school prepare one for the mathematical and logical skills needed to succeed, social studies courses also inform students on current world events.

“You need an education to not be ignorant as to what is going on in the world,” said Puyana. “For example, Civics helps us understand what is going on in the upcoming election which is important for when we need to start making [election] decisions.”

Even though there are students hoping to change the face of education for the future, there are also current teachers with aspirations to see positive development throughout the rest of their career.

“There are always changes in education: new methods to try, different ways to measure learning, et cetera,” said science teacher and Beginning Teacher Support Coordinator, Laura Stiles. “I would like to see schools focused on preparing students for future success like teaching them how to solve problems and apply what they know