Start your day off right with a warm cup of joe

Wake Up, Wakefield! Your morning blues can now be uplifted with your choice of a hot beverage

Hannah Chaya

More stories from Hannah Chaya

Students+gather+in+the+200+locker+bay+after+first+period+to+get+a+warm+cup+of+coffee.+

Staff Photo by Hannah Chaya

Students gather in the 200 locker bay after first period to get a warm cup of coffee.

A few weeks ago, a new initiative was created in order for Occupational Course of Study, or OCS, students to complete their annual required work hours. It is called Wake Up Wakefield. Every Friday after first period, coffee, hot tea, and hot chocolate are being sold in the 200 locker bay for only $1.

“In order to do this, we got a grant through the Special Ed portion of the PTSA,” said OCS teacher, Elisabeth Breymaier. “Before we got the grant, I had to discuss it with Mr. Bazzell so he would approve it.”

Each year, OCS students are required to complete various work hours in order to eventually receive a high school diploma. Many of the jobs completed are intended to prepare the students for the work force. In particular, Wake Up Wakefield goes towards the student’s fulfilling their needed academic hours.

Wake Up Wakefield encourages the students to interact with the faculty and other students by completing necessary jobs such as: making the coffee, restocking the creamer and sugar station and delivering coffee to different classrooms.

“[I have to] make sure the coffee machine is cleaned and to make sure I have enough cream and sugar,” said OCS student, Yasmine Smith-Judkins.

Alexis Matthews, who works with Judkins explained that she enjoys making packs for teachers.

I like to make the packs,” said Matthews. “You have to put the napkins, stirrers, mints and room number and deliver it.”

Breymaier described the turnout as a boom in attendance.

“It was pretty slow until we put it on the announcements and then it exploded,” said Breymaier. “We didn’t think it would get that big.”

Senior, Carlos Robles explained his excitement for conveniently being able to buy coffee at school.

“Being on time to school is always a hassle,” said Robles. “I never have time to buy myself a cup of coffee. Wake Up Wakefield allows me to get the boost I need to get me through the day with coffee or hot chocolate for just $1.”

According to Breymaier, Wake Up Wakefield enables the students to not only practice their real world skills, but to enhance their interactive and social skills.

“It makes a big difference for my students,” said Breymaier. “They’re able to meet new people, work on a schedule, interact with teachers when they do deliveries, and count money…They’re gaining many benefits as far as socialization and going out of their comfort zone. They talk to students and teachers that they normally wouldn’t talk to, so it hugely benefits them socially.”