High school social lives turn to the virtual world

A review of High School Story

Laurie Diggett, Staff Writer

High school life has been turned into a popular virtual reality game on the app store. Now people can create their own high schools, social groups and school events with an app known as High School Story.

Originally created by Pixelberry Studios, High School Story allows you to build your own high school from scratch, unlock a variety of interesting characters, build social groups within the school and level up characters to make them more scholarly students.

While it is true that High School Story is free on the app store, in-app purchasers are made available to players upon downloading the game. Purchases involve buying “diamonds,” “books,” and “coins” from the game, which are the different currencies used in the app.

Diamonds are used to speed up a task or “quest,” as it is referred to in the game, which a needed character may be participating in. Diamonds are useful, because many of the tasks within the game can last multiple hours on average. As long as a character is occupied with a quest, the player cannot access that particular character for anything other than changing their outfit, facial features and hairstyle. Special unlocked characters do not allow players to change anything about their appearance, but any character created by an individual player can be altered at any time to their liking. Diamonds can also be earned through a building that is unlocked once a player reaches a certain level. However, this is yet another thing that players would have to pay for.

Coins are used to pay for new characters (although some special characters cost diamonds to be unlocked), buildings, things needed within quests, outfits, books and hairstyles. Coins are earned based on how many characters a player has in the buildings or “hangouts” of the created social groups.

Books are used to level up characters, which eventually allows them to participate in special quests. Players can also exchange coins for books.

Although all forms of currency can prove useful to players, it isn’t really worth wasting hard earned cash on the virtual kind.

There is one other feature that sets apps like High School Story apart from others. Players can sign into Facebook through the app and invite their friends to play. Players can also interact with their friends through the game by visiting each other’s high schools and sending gifts (books, coins, diamonds, etc.) to one another. I highly recommend it to anyone that likes games with a storyline. This app really encourages creativity and allows the player to make decisions by choosing the path that their character takes, just as one would in a real high school story.

It is both intriguing and utterly bizarre that one can now create their ideal high school life through a game that is free on the app store. High School Story is yet another crazy example that there is an app for everything.