New year, new me

Students and teachers reflect on the semesters coming and going

Palace Jones

More stories from Palace Jones

Photo Courtesy of Cameron Osiecki

The Wakefield parking lot fills up and students return to the school for second semester.

With the new year starting and finals less than a week away, the second semester is approaching fast. Counselors and teachers tend to see the same pattern with seniors as the second semester starts and the school year winds down.

“By the time February comes, and all the acceptance letters come in, the seniors start to drop off and [then] get senioritis,” said student counselor Jill Toborowsky.

This common idea of the seniors obtaining “senioritis” has been quite popular with the faculty and administration. Senioritis is an issue that plagues not only seniors, but many students who feel the need to not put any more effort into their schooling. This especially effects seniors when their final days in high school are coming to a close.

“Don’t get senioritis until June tenth,” said special programs teacher, James Doyle. “Waiting until the end to try to pull it all together is harder than giving yourself a nice cushion, and then maybe laying off at the end.”

This isn’t a brand new idea for many seniors pushing through their last days. Although many students have fallen off, the remaining few are continuing to push through and battle the idea of “not caring” anymore.

“Yes, I’ve caught senioritis,” said senior Maiya Green. “I don’t know what else to do other than continue to push myself.”

The closing of a year, or even a semester, comes with a time of reflection. For many, they reflect and learn that they need to study more often, while others see a change in their personality in comparison to middle school.

“I have changed a lot,” said freshman Michelle Hernandez-Romero, “I like high school a lot, it [provides] more freedom.”

A senior’s reflection of their time in high school seems to completely differ from that of a freshman’s, as far as experience goes, learning things such as their future, personality, and friendships.

“Everyone isn’t your friend,” said Green. “[High school] is full of life lessons. [I learned that] life’s hard, love yourself, and live life to the fullest”

When the second semester starts, great milestones will be occurring for the seniors, Prom, college acceptances, and graduation. These are the few things that make senior year and high school worthwhile.

“[I am looking forward to] graduation, learning something [useful] in life, and leaving [high school],” said Green.

As the year closes many seniors begin to count down the days until graduation, but indirectly seem to wish away the high school days.

“Enjoy every day of still being in high school and not having any responsibilities,” said Toborowsky.