The long haul: senioritis

Graphic Courtesy of Canva AI

Across the country, thousands of high school seniors are unwillingly coming down with a cold case of senioritis.

As the school year comes to a close, an affliction of lack of motivation and decline in performance is unwillingly imposed on a group of students in their final semester of their final year of high school. This malady can be known as one thing, and one thing only: senioritis. Symptoms of senioritis include laziness, excessive absences, increased procrastination, stress and irritability; in other words, our seniors are burned out. However, graduating seniors aren’t the only group experiencing a decline in motivation and performance; as a junior and rising senior, I too have begun to experience the onset of senioritis. 

So, as a new group of underclassmen prepare to embark on the journey that is their final year of high school, how can our incoming seniors avoid a bad case of senioritis?

First, know your limits. Every student has their own personal limits when it comes to how much energy and effort they could put into an endeavor. It’s easy as a student to view college or high school graduation as an end goal; if your ultimate goal is to get accepted into college, then it’s natural to feel a lack of drive or motivation once acceptance letters are received and decisions are finalized. However, remember that education is not the means of success or achieving a goal — instead, it’s an ongoing journey that sets you up to achieve success in the future. Continue to challenge yourself with the courses you take, but keep in mind your limits. 

Lastly, if you’re planning on continuing your education post-graduation, do not obsess over college.

Secondly, focus on the senior experience — this is your last year of high school after all. Life after graduation will be a completely new experience for you, whether you are entering the workforce or continuing your education. Participate in senior-related activities at your school, and try to branch out of your comfort zone and meet new people you may have not encountered before. This is your last chance to join any clubs you may be interested in or school sports teams you’ve always rooted for.

Lastly, if you’re planning on continuing your education post-graduation, do not obsess over college. This is something that I constantly have to tell myself. Yes, the college admissions process is exhausting and occasionally daunting, but it doesn’t have to be! Create a plan over the summer and organize a to-do list to ensure you’re up-to-date with deadlines. Begin drafting college essays and applications over the summer, and finalize a list of universities or colleges you would be interested in studying at. 

Senioritis is an increasingly common trait amongst students in their final year of high school. It’s common to feel overwhelmed, anxious and excessively burned out from all the hard work and dedication you have put into the past four years of high school, but with organization, evaluation and determination, we can all strive to finish our final year of high school strong.