Wakefield men’s soccer athletes strive for unity in the 2022 season

Staff Photo Maya Schindler

Wakefield men’s soccer strategizes for an upcoming game against Wake Forest. Wolverines went on to win the game with a 2-0 shut-out.

Danielle Kirschner and Jordan McIntyre

A new school year means a new season for the men’s soccer team at Wakefield. Hopes are high as senior athletes grasp their last few moments of high school sports and freshmen come into a challenging but rewarding reality. Mistakes were made and lessons were learned throughout seniors’ athletic careers but their experience is nothing short of unforgettable. 

The Wakefield men’s soccer team has a current record of four wins, three ties and only one loss in their conference. With only two more games left to play in the 2022 season, hopes are high as players prepare to end the season with a bang.

One of the most essential parts of any team is supporting one another and bringing a positive attitude on and off the field. Senior Tanner Thorson, co-captain and center midfielder of the men’s soccer team, has played soccer his whole life and has learned many lessons from his years of practice and discipline. 

“[The team and I] make sure we’re not negative with each other if we mess up and [we] always do our best,” Thorson said.

According to his teammates, Thorson not only assists with practices but livens up the whole team in preparation for the games.  While Thorson is energizing the team for upcoming games, senior Dryden Vice is there for the tactical side of captaincy and thoroughly cares for the athlete’s mental health as a co-captain.

“I really like talking to players that I can tell are struggling with their mental aspect of the game,” Vice said. “If I see somebody that’s getting really mad with other people and themself, I’ll go over there and try to go help them with that stuff.”

It’s important to be diligent and work hard in a sport but to be an overall successful athlete, it’s necessary to prioritize your mental health. 

“I individually make sure every player has a good mindset,” Vice said. 

Building relationships since freshman year has been really beneficial, on and off the field.

— Tobias

Another important aspect of forming a unified team is continuously creating more relationships with all of the players. Senior Dylan Tobias, center midfielder and winger for the men’s soccer team, learned that making relationships in sports are what makes a difference to the team. 

“Building relationships since freshman year has been really beneficial, on and off the field,” Tobias said. “Knowing the guys on the team has clearly helped us grow.”

Captains aren’t the only ones that care for the athletes. All players checking in with one another consistently is a huge factor that the team should abide by. 

“I fell into a bigger role as a player [that] someone can look up to or talk about life [with],” Tobias said. “Just being [an] outlet for someone.” 

Along with supportive teammates, the coach can make all the difference in your sports team’s experience. They need to be stern and challenging but also reliable and understanding of what the athletes require to be the best version of themselves. Anthony Calabria, English teacher and men’s soccer coach, shares his lessons and what he’s noticed throughout his many years of coaching.

“A lot of times, kids don’t enjoy the process,” Calabria said. “These athletes need to have a positive experience to get better at their sport.”

Loving your sport is what differentiates one athlete from the other, and thoroughly enjoying what you do will lead to greatness when combined with hard work and diligence.

The brotherhood forming within this talented group of people won’t stop because the season is coming to an end. Mistakes will continue to be made and lessons will be learned on and off the field. 

“In the past, we have had small groups of friends within the team,” Tobias said, “but I think this year everyone has gelled together really well and it definitely feels like a family.”