Champions return to the eye of the Hurricane

Alumni hockey players return home for a charity game.

Kennedy Little, Business Editor

Hundreds of community members gathered together this Valentine’s Day to observe the annual Carolina Hurricanes Alumni game.  The game was free to attend, but people were encouraged to make a donation to the Kids ‘N Community Foundation.

The Kids ‘N Community Foundation is a program that works very closely with the Carolina Hurricanes giving back to the children in their community.  They have numerous programs that encourage them to participate in educational and social opportunities.

“This foundation raises money to write grants every year for schools, the Boys and Girls Club and other organizations that really benefit underprivileged children who don’t have the same opportunities,” said Wakefield graduate, Kye Gibbs.

The entire event was an effective way to bring different members of the community together.

“There were thirteen alumni players to supplement two rosters,” said Kye Gibbs.  “Other than those 13 players, there were 20 normal people like myself who had to pay to play in the game, and the entry fee for each of us was $4,000.”

Allowing the alumni players to be on the ice with “normal people” in order to raise money for charity showed the community how much the Carolina Hurricanes love to give back.

“I thought it was a great way to bring families together,” said senior, Kirsten Jording.  “It brought old and new fans to the game.”

The game generated a lot of interest because some of the mixed groups of players won the Stanley Cup, and some people are simply affiliated with the Hurricanes and wanted to participate in such a fantastic experience.

“It was a great way to revamp the fan base of the Hurricanes,” said Jording.  “Having the old players return was a good way to inspire people who watched them win the Stanley Cup come back to view the newer team.”

Events like this make the people of this community feel included and united with one another.

“I think that events like this encourage people to participate in activities that help others,” said Kye Gibbs.  “A lot of the people that I’ve spoken to since who heard my story have done other helpful things.  I think it only takes a little push to get the ball rolling.”

Events that help the community as much as this one does also affects younger kids who look up to the players.

“It was amazing seeing my brother play in the game because I’d never really seen him have an opportunity like this,” said senior, Kaleb Gibbs.  “He was meeting, not only his idols, but people who I had grown up loving as well.”

It has also inspired other organizations to give back to their communities.

“Multiple organizations have followed suit and started their own charity alumni events with the hope of it being as successful as the one started by the Hurricanes,” said Kaleb Gibbs.

The entire event generated a lot of interest for everyone involved and it helped many children through all of the money that was raised.

“A good bit of my support came from the Wakefield area and I thought that that was really cool,” said Kye Gibbs.  “A handful of students donated, so I would like to say thank you to all of the students in Wakefield High School that contributed.”