How we cram for exams

How students and teachers react during the last few days of the semester

Staff Photo by Cameron Osiecki

Students review for their final exams in class.

Alexa Cook, Staff Editor

With the semester almost over preparations for the New Year are beginning with anticipation. Only one thing stands in the way now: finals. Exams are notorious for draining most students’ minds of joy and holiday spirit. Bed ridden and feverish with excitement, many contemplate their future grades as being doomed by one single test grade.

Preparing for finals ranges in a series of events: from sleeping in class, to falling into a state of apprehension, and finally rushing to your teacher in a complete state of anxiety.

“I think tests and exams are pretty critical to your grade,” said sophomore Zach Little. “They make up a lot of your grade which is why you really have to pay attention all year long so you know what you’re in for.”

Some students have really learned the knack for maintaining solid grades throughout the year in preparation for finals.

“I do most of my homework at school,” said Little. “That way I can study my notes and stuff at home without worrying about whether I’ve completed all of my work or not.”

Most of the staff agree that though there is a week before finals, students should be preparing prior to that time.

“We haven’t just started preparing for exams,” said math teacher Ronnie McMasters, “The entire semester we are preparing…every day I am working to prepare young ones for their exams.”

Teachers have a very strong opinion when it comes to students attending SMART lunch for self-help. Most of the time, only near the end of a semester, students try to raise their grade by cramming in material.

“It’s up to the student to get extra help,” said McMasters, “unless they are failing, in which case it is up to me to confront the student and say something like this: ‘Hello student, I noticed you are not doing so well, let’s go over some things.’ Sometimes it’s too late.”

Having senior exemptions, a highly glorified term that is only available to specific individuals maintaining certain grades with minimum absences, is something many seniors take advantage of. However, teachers have varying opinions on it.

“When students ask me about senior exemptions it doesn’t really get annoying until after the first 17 times,” said McMasters. “Most students aren’t even aware that there is such a thing as senior exemptions until I’ve mentioned it 4 or 5 times.”

Some staff believe that students should not have the privilege of being exempt from exams even if they have maintained good grades with none to few absences.

“I hate senior exemptions,” said science teacher Kyle Smith. “Exams are meant to show what students have learned throughout the year and once a student discovers that they are exempt, they shut down early.”

When it comes time for exams, it can be stressful and hard to handle knowing what material to study.

“I don’t really study all that much because there’s so much material you have to know,” said senior Lizzie Wilfong. “I have so many tardies in first period, I don’t even bother asking my teacher about senior exemptions.”

Though exams and finals can be life impeding, one thing most certainly remains. Once the stress and chaos [of exams] are finally over, everyone breathes a sigh of relief.

“I’m terrible about deadlines and meeting expectations, but that’s not what high school is about,” said Wilfong. “Just know that your teachers don’t want you to fail, take the initiative to go see them before exams.”