Wakefield women’s golf stake claim to the Cap 8

With decisive play, women’s golf rises to the top.

Photo Courtesy of the Wakefield Women's golf twitter page

The women’s golf team takes a picture with the 2015 Cap-8 Conference trophy.

Alexa Cook, Community Editor

The Wakefield women’s golf team remains undefeated this season for the second year in a row with no direct rivals. Being number 1 in the Cap 8 and top 3 in the state, the team has risen to the peak of their game.

Their accomplishment as a team can be dedicated to a very vital character who has been with the team through thick and thin: the girls’ coach, Mrs. Reitz. She is an intense and well educated golfer who has been teaching the sport for 41 years.

“One thing most people don’t know is that in golf, you play all of the Cap 8 teams at one time,” Reitz said. “It’s not like in basketball or football where you play one team at a time. The TPC shuts down one whole side of the golf course for us to play on and the girls are put into groups of 3, each with someone from a different school. You have one chance to get the job done.”

As of now, the girls’ golf team is 8-0.

“Looking back at the beginning of the season, I always knew that the girls had it in them,” Reitz said. “We were defending champions last year and our chances looked pretty good, but you never know who is going to move in from other schools.”

Even though the girls have had a streak of success, there are always team limitations. Each player becomes their own referee, determining her game based on one play.

“Sometimes the girls are too hard on themselves,” Reitz said. “They care so much about a bad shot and afterwards feel as if they’ve let the whole team down.”

Golf can be tough on both the body and mind. It is a challenge finding a good balance between the two while out on the course.

“You can’t sub someone out for you to pick up the momentum. It’s up to you as an individual player,” Reitz said. “The whole game is mental, but you can’t risk jeopardizing the team because of one bad play. Last night’s game [October 5] was our worst game this entire season. We didn’t have good scores due to the inclement weather, but we still won.”

As a team, the girls have bonded more than ever this year.

“The freshman on the team love the older girls and the older ones act as role models,” said Reitz. “I think I’ve taught the girls pretty well this season about communicating and supporting one another. We’re basically one big family.”

Senior Casey Burroughs relinquished that the reason the girls improved from last year was because, once truly involved in the sport, it becomes a year round dedication.

“Even once the school season is over, we don’t hang up our sticks and stop playing,” Burroughs said. “We practice and practice looking for improvement. Personally, I have improved most on my drive and accuracy.”

Another senior, Shreeya Singh, commented on how the team ultimately reached their goal this year.

“Every player developed and worked hard to perform even better this year,” said Singh. “Our toughest competition was probably Heritage but because of our continuous practice throughout the year, we were able to reach our goal as champions with very few difficulties.”

As the seniors leave for college and head on to bigger and better things, one memory that will always remain is the team spirit.

“As I head to UNC Pembroke for college golf, I will always remember the values of leadership and support that come when being a golfer,” said Burroughs. “High school golf has taught me to push both my mind and body harder. Being a senior Cap 8 champion will be the best memory of all.”