The Howler

The Howler

The Howler

Traveling abroad is extremely beneficial when necessary precautions are taken. It can lead to personal growth, confidence and communication skills for those who step outside of their comfort zones.
Traveling abroad in 2024: is it worth the risk?
Jordan McIntyre, Co-Opinions Editor • April 26, 2024

Going on exotic adventures, exploring foreign destinations and experiencing diverse cultures is a dream for many people. Yet, global crises and...

Mistletoe Market volunteers work tirelessly to bring holiday cheer to Wakefield

Kendall Wilson
Every year, Mistletoe Market lights up the hallways of Wakefield High School. However, this communal event would not be possible without the volunteers that dedicate their time to bringing that beautiful holiday feeling to local families.

This November, benevolent adult and teenage volunteers will work together diligently to prepare for the annual Mistletoe Market at Wakefield High School, bringing holiday cheer to local families. The hard work and dedication they put into this event will benefit not only the school, but copious amounts of small businesses around the Raleigh area.

The volunteers for Mistletoe Market are kept busy throughout the event’s day-long run with numerous jobs. Junior Mackenzie Book, who has been volunteering with this event since her freshman year, explains the run-down of the different tasks volunteers can get their hands on.

“There are three different types of volunteering: one is set up where you bring out all the tables, measure out the dimensions of everyone’s slot and help vendors move in,” Book said. “The second is to walk around and [be] an assistant, and then the third is closing where we just take everything down.” 

Emily Bernstein, President of the WHS Parent Teacher Student Association, is coming up on her third year participating in and planning the Mistletoe Market. She realizes the demanding work that setting and cleaning up for an event of this nature requires from volunteers.

“Setup and breakdown are the most physically challenging parts of Mistletoe Market; there are hundreds of tables and chairs [that need] to be placed and all of the booths have to be marked with boundaries and vendor identification,” Emily Bernstein said. “We rely on our volunteers and the invaluable members of the janitorial staff to make sure the school is back to its original state for Monday morning.”

This hard work cannot be done successfully alone as teamwork plays a large factor in getting this event ready in a timely manner. Junior and third-year volunteer for the market Victoria Bernstein emphasizes the importance of a collaborative effort.

We rely on our volunteers and the invaluable members of the janitorial staff to make sure the school is back to its original state for Monday morning.

— Bernstein

“If we don’t have teamwork, it’s going to be a big mess, so we need each volunteer to put in the time and the effort because it takes the 60 people that we have throughout the day in order to set up,” Victoria Bernstein said. “Without [teamwork,] Mistletoe Market wouldn’t be able to run the way it does.”

All the sweat that goes into Mistletoe Market is worth it, as it has numerous positive effects on the Wakefield community. Book shares that she has been inspired by the communal spirit fostered by this event.

“[Mistletoe Market] has made me have a much more positive outlook towards my community, my school and all my peers because I get to see them in a really great light,” Book said. “Everyone’s excited to help other people out.”

Additionally, the market has incredible positive effects on the small businesses who decide to sell at the event. Jennifer Strickland, a two-year-long vendor for Mistletoe Market, describes how her fused glass business has benefitted from this exposure.

“[Art] shows help in different ways, it’s a network that we rely on to build our business.” Strickland said. “The Mistletoe Market is so large that this [network] is magnified.” 

In addition to the numerous people this event benefits each year, local shoppers can easily find something to enjoy as well. From delicious chocolates to beautiful clothing, there’s something for everyone. Victoria Bernstein highlights why this event is special to her, and why she believes everyone should come.

“Mistletoe Market is like nothing else, [it’s] not your average farmers market or crafts fair, it’s got such a wide variety of different things that when you come, you never know what to expect and it’s always new each year,” Victoria Bernstein said. “It’s such an amazing experience just to be able to see the smiling faces of the vendors and to meet someone new; I feel like Mistletoe Market allows Wakefield to be a certain hub of humanity in our area.”

Mistletoe Market will run on Saturday, Nov. 11 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Enjoyers of this event owe it all to the tireless volunteers who’ve dedicated their time to supporting our school. This November, be sure to drop in and look around; after all, it’s beautiful to see what a generous holiday spirit can create.

“Mistletoe Market would not be possible without the WHS families, staff and students,” Emily Bernstein said. “It is awe-inspiring to see all of the people come together to make this event a success.”