The Howler

The Howler

The Howler

Traveling abroad is extremely beneficial when necessary precautions are taken. It can lead to personal growth, confidence and communication skills for those who step outside of their comfort zones.
Traveling abroad in 2024: is it worth the risk?
Jordan McIntyre, Co-Opinions Editor • April 26, 2024

Going on exotic adventures, exploring foreign destinations and experiencing diverse cultures is a dream for many people. Yet, global crises and...

Wakefield Homecoming dance: the first of many lasts

Maren Lynch, Abby Weaver, Riley Anthony and Sofia Samuelson at last years homecoming Homecoming dance. Homecoming is a great way to spend time with friends and dance the night away.
Photo Courtesy of Erin Cozzie
Maren Lynch, Abby Weaver, Riley Anthony and Sofia Samuelson at last year’s homecoming Homecoming dance. Homecoming is a great way to spend time with friends and dance the night away.

A vibrant mix of emotions fills the air as the Wakefield Homecoming season officially kicks off. Freshmen eagerly prepare for their first high school dance, while seniors brace themselves for their final chance to craft unforgettable memories. For the underclassmen, this marks the exciting beginning of high school, but for the graduating seniors, it’s a bittersweet goodbye.

Senior Class Vice President, Alice Chen, fondly looks back on her memories from last year’s Homecoming and anticipates making the dance remarkable. 

“[It will be] sentimental,” Chen said. “It’s something that we will all look back on, so I want it to be memorable.”

At Wakefield, Homecoming isn’t just an event; it’s an entire season filled with lively football games, spirit week, and, of course, the dance. Senior John Walter encourages his fellow students, especially the underclassmen, to partake in the festivities. 

“[The dance] gives [underclassmen] a chance to connect with their peers and have a social life,” Walter said. 

Although underclassmen may still need to learn what to expect at their first big high school event, many are excited and ready to partake in new experiences and meet new people along the way.

“It’s our first big [high school] event of the year, so I’m super excited,” freshman Morgan Cloninger said. “I’m most excited about hanging out with my friends and hopefully meeting some new people.”

It’s something that we will all look back on, so I want it to be memorable

— Chen

Homecoming season allows students to form connections and build friendships inside and outside of school, further enhancing the high school experience. 

“I’m most excited about seeing my friends and having a good time,” freshman Will Barwick said. “There are some people I haven’t met before [that are joining us] and I’m excited to meet them.”

An event as simple as a dance becomes an outlet for students to let go, have fun and escape the hassle of school and academic life. Whether it’s celebrating with elaborate dinners or exciting after-parties, there’s no specific way to participate in Homecoming. Each individual’s experience will be unique, yet all students share the potential to enjoy a remarkable night. 

“My friends and I have planned it out so everyone has fun,” Chen said. “We’ll all dress up, [and go to a fancy dinner. I feel like every high schooler should live [the Homecoming] experience.” 

I’m most excited about seeing my friends and having a good time

— Barwick

For the freshmen, this marks their introduction to high school and allows them to have a chance to let loose and escape from the occasional stresses of academic life. As the Homecoming season ends, it unites students of all grades in a shared experience that will always be remembered. 

“Homecoming last year was so much fun,” Chen said. “I definitely recommend [it]. It’s major and something I’ll tell my kids.”