Bazzell creates a new legacy

Incoming principal, Malik Bazzell, brings modern ideas to Wakefield.

Staff Photo by Chase Cofield

The new principal of Wakefield High School, Mr. Bazzell speaks with a student.

Emily Callahan and Hannah Chaya

Wakefield welcomed the newest member to its staff at the beginning of this school year, principal, Malik Bazzell. While losing and gaining staff members can be difficult to adjust to, the staff and students are eager to see what Bazzell has planned for the school. Bazzell’s aspirations for Wakefield will be enforced as a result of his strong leadership qualities and past experiences.

Bazzell has held the position as principal in various high schools; he is well prepared and enthusiastic to be the new principal of WHS. Previously, Bazell was a principal of Anacostia High School located in Washington, D.C., and was most recently principal of the Integrated Technology division of East Wake High School.

“Most of my jobs were in, what I would call, a ‘dysfunctional’ environment,” said Bazzell.  “I was the person told to fix it, whereas this is different; Wakefield is not dysfunctional.”

Bazzell hopes to set achievable goals with the help of the students and staff. The faculty is pleased to discover that Bazzell only wants to make the school better, and his previous history as a principal proves Bazzell to be more than well qualified for his position.

“I see Mr. Bazzell taking us to being a school that really progresses to higher numbers and greater accolades,” said Assistant Principal Dr. Vivian Wells.

Wells discussed the importance Bazzell has placed on improvement in student performance, which is apparent through the use of quantitative data. Whether it be graduation percentages or the quality of student performance, Bazzell credits his success to understanding the numbers.

According to Bazzell, the graduation rate of Anacostia was around 40%. However, under his leadership, the graduation rate increased to 70%. Furthermore, at East Wake, which was also a lower performing school, Bazzell was able to remarkably improve the school’s performance.

“At the time, [the East Wake School of Integrated Technology] was the lowest performing school in Wake County,” said Bazzell. “I was given the job to see if I could fix the situation and we were able to bring the graduation rate up from 68% to 86%.”

At East Wake School of Integrated Technology, Bazzell was also able to improve teacher working conditions from 38% to 85%, and increase student proficiency. The impressive advancements Bazzell has made at his previous schools can also be made here at Wakefield.

“What I want to do is go well beyond what schools that look like us are doing,” said Bazzell. “When I look at other schools who mirror us, as far as demographics and performance levels, I think that we are going to go above and beyond as well as outperform this school’s records.”

Bazzell added that another goal he hopes to meet is increasing the graduation rate.

“The long term goal, which is the same as the district’s goal, is to make sure that we have a 95% graduation rate,” said Bazzell. “At the same time, I’d like to improve the percentage of students who are college-and-career-ready to about 70-75%.”

Wakefield’s graduation rate last year was about 88% and its career-and-college ready rate was approximately 50%. With these statistics, Bazzell’s long term goal will definitely be achievable.  As well as improving the school’s rates, Bazzell went on to elaborate on other hopes he has for Wakefield.

“As educators, we are talking about something called ‘Twenty-First Century Skills,’” said Bazzell. “It focuses on collaboration, communication, creativity, and critical thinking skills (the four C’s). Helping kids develop those 21st century skills is the main focus…I also want teachers to focus on using data, and being better collaborators.”

Assistant Principal Eric Betheil, is confident in the decisions Bazzell has made thus far.

“If the things that he has started to put in place can impact student growth and the overall climate in the school, he can take us to the next level, ” said Betheil. “He’s come in and made some changes that will be better for the overall school environment.”

The assistant principals are not the only members of the school who are satisfied with Bazzell’s goals for Wakefield, the students also share the same beliefs.

“I hope to see that our Wacko spirit grows, and that our education improves,” said senior Laura Puyana. “From his past experience at other schools, it seems like he’s really been able to improve them a lot, so he probably has new ideas to bring [to Wakefield].”

Bazzell’s relation with the students is key, so it is only fitting to include his interests in order to create a basic understanding of who he really is.

“I have two little girls, so I listen to a lot of pop music,” Bazzell said. “I  know all about Taylor Swift and Carly Rae Jepsen, I can recite most of their songs. Other than that I enjoy riding bikes and playing with my daughters.”

Bazzell’s relatable demeanor to the students, strong leadership abilities, and past experiences all contribute to his overall status as new principal of Wakefield. Bazzell is thrilled to have the position as principal, and is also equipped for any challenges that may come his way.

“It is an outstanding school,” said Bazzell.  “I think it’s a difficult endeavor to move a school from good to great.”