Wakefield leads by example

Staff Photo by Charlie Morris

Potential leaders campaign throughout the halls of WHS.

Charlie Morris, Features Editor

How much do colleges really look at leadership on a college application?  In order to be competitive, most schools pride themselves in claiming to offer admission to ‘well-rounded’ students.  However, in the recent years, the term ‘well-rounded’ can take on many meanings.

Wakefield offers several leadership positions to students of all backgrounds.  In student government alone, it is important to remember that certain positions require different types of work.  Some positions are elected, and others are by application only.

“If someone doesn’t want to go through the process of elections, there are multiple positions in executive council that students can just join in to,”said Ms. Scales, the head of Student Government.

Responsibilities of different positions vary, and some executive positions even involve almost strictly communicating with peers.

“I tweet, I Instagram and I make posters,” said Chance Venable, Senior and Communications director of the executive council.

Creative and social candidates are often the ones who are elected to leadership positions.

“I had somebody graphically design myself onto pop culture and hung it around the school,” said Venable.  “My posters really helped me get my name out there and to gain a lot of votes.”

Current members are leaders for more reasons than just an inflated college application, though.

“Leadership is my life,” said Venable.  “I live to lead.”

Many leadership positions are available, so it is important to try to pick a positions to apply or run for based upon your own strengths.

“We will put the best person for the job in that position,” said Scales.  “Nobody will be chosen because they are ‘popular’.”

Even students that have been elected agree that elections are non-biased.

“I think it’s half-merit and half socializing with your peers,” said Venable.  “It’s really not about how popular you are.”

One of the main goals of student government is to represent the entire school.

“We always encourage all types of people to apply,” said Scales.  “We love having people represent the school that are not the same four or five kids that always make the decisions.  We love having diversity in executive council.”

Possessing a leadership position is a great addition to any college application.

“I think it’s very important for college acceptance,” said Venable.  “I believe it really helped me get into NC State.”

However, wanting to look better for a college is not a reason to run for a position in student government.

“If you’re looking just to put something on your college application,” said Scales, “this is not for you.”

Being in a position of leadership is a great way to show care for the school and the surrounding community.

“Running for a student leadership position is the first predecessors to leadership ability,”said Scales.  “It shows your willingness to serve and your willingness to better your school.”