Cross-country runners have grit

Athletic cross-country member runs on course during meet.

Photo Courtesy of Gavin Stevens

Emily Dudash, Staff Writer

One common theme prevails among Wakefieldl’s cross-country team; the love they have for one another. When asked about how cross-country has impacted her life, captain Gabriella Turchetti’s response is simple: 

“Definitely with the people I’ve met on the team.”

Cross-country is a highly active sport in which teams and individuals run races on outdoor courses over natural terrain. Being a member of the cross-country team is a major commitment, requiring a lot of time and effort from runners. 

“It can be hard having a long school day and then having a two-hour practice and then doing homework,” said Turchetti. “It takes up the majority of my weekend [when we have] meets that are overnight.”

Despite whatever challenges she faces managing schoolwork, captaining and a social life, it all pays off. 

It’s made me pretty resilient to some things. Like, if I can run eight miles I can do anything.

— Gabriella Turchetti

“It’s made me pretty resilient to some things. Like, if I can run eight miles I can do anything,” said Turchetti, who has spent her past four years of high school participating in the sport.

Some might say Gabriella Turchetti’s passion for running is “in her blood.” Her dad is Joe Turchetti, former collegiate runner and current coach of Wakefield’s cross-country team. 

Like running, coaching has its fair share of challenges. 

“[It’s hard] being a non-faculty coach, meaning I’m not in school to help recruit kids,” said Joe Turchetti. 

Even though he isn’t a faculty member, he still loves the students as much as the rest of the staff does.

“It is an awesome group that supports each other,” said Joe Turchetti. “We say that we suffer together, through my workouts, as a team.”