Subduing student stress

With finals week fast approaching and the new semester around the corner, many students are suffering from high levels of stress. Throughout the school year, it is easy to accumulate stress, with increasing amounts of homework and deadlines for club hours. Eighty-three percent of teenagers reported school as a “somewhat or significant source of stress,” 32% reported headaches, and just over a third of people reported “having lain awake at night” due to high stress levels, according to the American Stress Survey conducted by the American Psychological Association. They also reported that 10% of students felt that stress had a negative impact on their grades throughout the year.

Increased stress levels can not only impact your school performance, but also your mental, physical, and behavioral health. High stress often results in headaches, muscle pain and tension, chest pain, extreme tiredness, stomach problems, and sleep issues, according to research done by The Mayo Clinic. Mentally, stress can cause irritability, restlessness, sadness, and anxiety. High levels of stress can also affect your behavior, causing angry outbursts, drug and alcohol use, and withdrawal from social activities. Stressed out people are also more likely to overeat or undereat, and use tobacco products. Serious health problems can come from stress that goes untreated, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, and heart disease. This time of the school year, stress is a rampant issue amongst many teens, which is why it is important to learn how to manage your stress levels and stay healthy.

Everyone has a different reaction to stress, so it is very important to remember that people deal with it in various ways. There are many different methods of stress relief, including lighting scented candles and just relaxing, listening to music, going for a walk, reading a book, and writing in a journal. Other strategies such as working out or spending time outside are also good stress relievers. One of the best ways to help manage your stress levels is to take a break. When it comes to finals studying, taking regular breaks is a must. Turning off your phone while studying also increases focus and is extremely productive, as noted by the MIT Center for Academic Excellence.

Many people associate stress with being bad, however, that is not always the case. A TED Talk by psychologist Kelly McGonigal explains that stress can actually be a good thing, if you see it as helpful. If you view stress as your body preparing you for a challenge, it causes your body to release hormones that are often released during moments of joy, courage and connection. By viewing stress as bad for your body, you can further induce the likelihood of health problems caused by stress.

It may be the most stressful time of the year, but just know that everyone is going through this too. When you feel like you are ready to give up, remember that there are healthy ways to manage your stress, and as easy as it is to just give up and quit, don’t forget to breathe, and attempt to power through. Stress can feel hard to handle and it can feel like you’re completely drowning in everything you have to do. It can take over your life and even cause you to lose much needed sleep and relaxation because of the looming anxiety. Breaking down large projects can greatly reduce your stress levels. Being organized and responsible are major keys to success when it comes to school in the long run, and it especially pays off during finals week.

Buy yourself a day planner (and actually use it), take a long hot shower, drink some tea, and know that everyone is rooting for you. You’ve got this.