Candy grams bring holiday spirit

Staff Photo by Juliana Merzigian

Becca Fiely holds up her candy gram during the holidays.

Juliana Merzigian, Student Life Editor

Before winter break, the SGA hoped to get students in the holiday spirit by selling candy grams. For only one dollar, students could purchase candy canes and send them to peers with a written message attached to them.

“We do this to generate holiday spirit and put smiles on people’s faces,” said SGA adviser Emily Scales. “The SGA thought candy grams would be a fun thing, similar to crush cans, to do something before break as a little ‘Hey, Happy Holidays!’”

Generating holiday spirit was not the only motive behind this idea, however. Candy Grams were also meant to help raise money.

“SGA is selling candy grams this year to help raise money for the Executive Council,” said Executive Secretary Michael Hartman. “More money can mean more events, activities, and Wakefield spirit gear that we can provide for the students.”

Although the SGA didn’t make a huge amount of money, sales were better than expected.

“I didn’t think many people were going to do it because it’s the first year we’ve done it,” said Scales. “We sold about 346 candy grams. It’s a slow building thing so we’re hoping every year it will be more and more.”

The SGA also promotes candy grams simply because it spreads happiness.

“I enjoy candy grams,” said Executive President Caroline Stallings. “I love the holidays and wish to spread holiday spirit throughout the student body. At the end of the semester when teachers pile on work and we are stressing about grades, I think it’s a great way to lift our spirits and remind us that we’re almost done! Not to mention, it is a great way to support SGA.”

The SGA’s hard work shows in the student’s uplifted holiday spirit.

“It’s a fun idea,” said junior Zach Holt. “It’s a good way to send holiday cheer around the school before the holidays.”

The SGA used social media and the school to make sure that students knew about the upcoming candy grams.

“We didn’t do too much,” said Scales. “We had a couple of big flyers and a twitter campaign.”

This is not the last that Wakefield will see of candy grams. When the holiday season rolls around next year, the SGA plans to offer candy grams again to students.

“It’s a slow building thing,” said Scales. “We’re hoping it’ll become a tradition. We like starting traditions here since Wakefield is still relatively young and could use more traditions. Kids tend to get a little bit jaded so we need something that’s cute to get them into the holiday spirit.”