Wakefield’s “Zine” provides opportunity for artistic students

Staff Graphic by Kendall Wilson

The Wakefield Zine is a very exciting opportunity for artsy high school students.

Kendall Wilson, Staff Writer

This year, innovative Wakefield students Atmaja Lohar and Niko Lopez created the “Zine”, an exciting opportunity for students to submit their art pieces. These submitted artworks will be compiled into a magazine for all to enjoy later in the year.

Sara King, an advisor of the Zine and art teacher at Wakefield shares why she believes the Zine is something all students should consider.

“I think [The Zine] is a great way to showcase your work in a way that you don’t often get the opportunity to,” King said. “People get to showcase their work to a wider audience and that’s a good experience to have.”

One of the greatest parts about this project is that you’re not limited in what you can create. Zine accepts a wide variety of submissions. 

“People can submit any kind of artwork; from two-dimensional drawings and paintings to three-dimensional sculptures, crafting projects such as jewelry making or sewing and literary submissions such as poems and short stories,” King said.

Sarah Dudley, another advisor and a WHS English teacher, encourages people to submit their creations to promote their talents.

“I think it’s really cool to be able to say that you’re a published author or a published artist whose work has been in some sort of book,” Dudley said. “It’s just such a cool thing to say about yourself that you’re published.”

The Zine is also a great way to build relationships with peers that share your same interests. Atmaja Lohar, a junior at WHS and one of the creators of Zine expresses how beneficial Zine can be. 

I think it’s really cool to be able to say that you’re a published author or a published artist whose work has been in some sort of book.

— Dudley

“This is a great opportunity to express your art and to show your creativity,” Lohar said. “You get to meet more people, get to know your peers better, and learn more about them through their work.”

Junior Jenna Dempsey is one of many students who decided to submit their artwork. She encourages other students to submit their creations as well.

“Other people should submit their work because it’s just a fun way to show other people your art that you created and to see each other’s art,” Dempsey said.

The submission process for Zine is simple as well. King describes the many ways you can turn in your work.

“[Students] can submit their work through the google form that is available through the QR code on multiple flyers around the school,” King said. “They can also come and see me in room 304 at any time.”

The Zine is a great opportunity for all students –not only for their art career, but for students to share their skill and creativity.

“I think it can [be beneficial to] the students who are submitting [artwork] to end up having their work put out there. It can be a source of pride and confidence, that their work is good enough to be out there in the world,” Dudley said. “For those who are organizing it, it’s just really a learning experience; the printing, distribution and everything.”

Dempsey shares why she chose to submit to Zine, explaining that she was interested in the exciting opportunity.

“[Zine] could help get your art out there,” Dempsey said. “If you have a certain style that you think is really cool or innovative, it’ll be shown to other students.”

Whether you consider yourself a talented artist, or enjoy the creativity of writing and photography, Zine welcomes your submissions. 

“Everybody should submit, it’s a great opportunity,” Lohar said. “You can even get famous per se.”