Band members thrilled to be back in person

Photo Courtesy of Michelle Carter

Senior band members enjoy playing as a team.

Jordan McIntyre, Staff Writer

In the background of plays, sports games and graduations, one group is always there: band. Whether it’s to play songs that touch souls or to raise spirits, they always know what to do. However, many are left wondering what exactly goes into the creation of their perfect harmonies, and how they were able to perform them during such a secluded time.

Not being able to see each other is one thing, but not hearing each other when practicing made it even harder for band members such as Rebecca Carter. 

Carter, a senior clarinet and drum major, had to adjust to playing her instrument separately from others due to COVID.

“It was rough because band was all about playing as a group, but at home, you couldn’t hear anyone else,” said Carter. “However, using an app we were able to put our sections together into actual music.”

Not being able to get feedback from teachers is hard when trying to improve, especially for groups like band that need criticism to become better musicians. Having the world change in an instant is scary, but not impossible for these students to overcome.

“It was sort of strange with masks because most instruments require air,” said Carter. “We had special masks with holes to stick our instruments through.”

Wearing these face coverings wasn’t comfortable, but to ensure the safety of everyone at school, it needed to be done. 

Throughout quarantine, many people have awaited the reopening of schools, including Connor Merrin. Merrin is a senior Wakefield band member and plays the alto saxophone.

“I welcomed coming back with open arms,” said Merrin. “I can’t change what’s going on at our school, but all I can do is follow the rules and stay safe.”

Many of the band members are now seniors and they haven’t had a “normal” school year since they were freshmen. They want this year to be unforgettable. Unfortunately, the current situation isn’t what a lot of students were hoping for, but Merrin has a balanced perspective. 

“During quarantine, I definitely learned how to manage my time better,” said Merrin. “Looking for the good things that happened during this bad time is important to move forward.”

The younger band members have also had to adjust as band members in a high school setting.

Alexandria Watson, a sophomore flute musician for the Wakefield band team, hasn’t had a lot of experience in a high school environment.

“This is my first year (in in-person learning) so I can’t compare it with other years,” said Watson. “It was especially weird playing with masks, which I never did in middle school.”

As this is a lot of students’ first year of high school, interaction is really important, especially when it comes to learning a different way of playing. Things may be different this year, but that doesn’t mean band members aren’t trying their best to make it work.

Irene Quinones-Olmeda, a sophomore trumpet player is staying focused on the little moments.

“Enjoy it and cherish the moments you play with your group because they won’t always be there,” said Quinones-Olmeda.