Is college worth the cost?

College further advances your knowledge for a successful career, but the price follows graduates for years.

Brielle Cashdan, Staff Writer

College is a concern for all high schoolers, whether it’s which one you want to attend, what major, and most importantly, how to pay for it. While there are plenty of financing options like scholarships, financial aid, and loans, the price of college is still a large sum of money. Even though many employers prefer college graduates, some young adults are deciding it’s not worth the cost.

According to the CollegeBoard, the average cost of tuition and fees for one school year is $30,094 at private colleges, $22,203 for out-of-state, and $8,893 for in state residents at a public college. Where you’re accepted and what you’re looking to major in, decided how much debt you’re thrown in to get this additional education. On top of the price of classes and materials, you may have the cost of a dormitory or commuting. With all this added up you could wind up paying it off for the next ten years of your life, but for what purpose?

Attending University has many pros and cons. The perks of college are generally becoming a well rounded citizen, networking, and a better chance at earning a high paid job. That may not seem like much in return for thousands of dollars but in the long run these benefits are vital. For one, college builds on people skills and gives you a chance to fully understand what you’re interested in. Many students try out different majors their first year of college to truly find their passion, which you would otherwise not have the opportunity to do.

Once settling on a career path, you can further expand your knowledge on the jobs which makes you an ideal employee. Generally, employers prefer to hire people who have at least a bachelor’s degree. According to ProCon “In April 2013 the unemployment rate for college graduates over 25 years old was 3.6% compared to 7.5% for high school graduates”, this is a drastic difference. Along with the likeliness of a higher paying job, you also get the benefits that come with a career that is usually exclusively offered to degree holders. The vast majority of high paying companies offer health insurance benefits and other perks that are necessary to support a family. College education also gives you an opportunity to meet new people and make connections that can assist you in furthering yourself and achieving a healthy and fulfilling life. Even with this in mind, college isn’t for everyone.

Some people may prefer trade jobs, which don’t necessarily require a college degree, for example; construction workers, electricians, plumbers, mechanics, etc. Though, regardless, college seems to be a necessary evil. Many adults who didn’t attend a university seem to regret it later in life because it greatly reduces their career choices.

Making college a more viable option for American citizens should be a priority. The fact that the majority of universities make their students take classes that may not even benefit their major is ridiculous and a waste of money. A law student shouldn’t be required to take Calculus and other higher level math courses because it simply won’t benefit them in life. Each course should have something that applied to their career path or taken for pleasure.

According to Bright Hub, an average in-state public college credit costs approximately three hundred dollars. Most students who receive a bachelor’s degree take about 136 credits when really only about 120 is needed. Right there is an extra five thousand that was unnecessarily wasted. If this problem was alleviated then college may be an option for more Americans and make the debt load less heavy.

Though college may have its pros and cons, overall  it is well worth it. You earn skills and knowledge that come in handy in the work force and general day to day life. The price may be a heavy burden but there are financial options to lighten the load. While the debt is only temporary, the experiences you’ll have and people you’ll meet will stay with you forever. College is worth the cost.