Wakefield brings on the Holiday spirit

Wakefield Theatre Company performs Jingle Arghh the Way and A Charlie Brown Christmas

Staff Photo by Jessie Christopher

The cast of Charlie Brown throw snowballs during the one act show A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Jessie Christopher, Staff Writer

This winter Wakefield Theatre Company started their season off in a very unique way. Jingle Arghh the Way kicked off the 2014-2015 season from November 20 to the 22. A Charlie Brown Christmas followed from December 4 through the 6. In years past they have put on one large fall musical but, this year they changed it up. Two smaller cast shows were chosen each with a special holiday theme. These shows may have been smaller in cast and length but the work that was put in to was no different.

“This show does not work without everyone,” said Conner Chaney, who portrayed the one and only Captain Braid Beard in Jingle.

Each cast consisted of a smaller number of characters, this created a strong sense of ensemble that translated on to the stage in both musicals. There were no small characters, even those who had no lines were pivotal in telling these stories through acting and song.

“Charlie Brown has so much history and is so short that is perfect for keeping kids’ attention, while Jingle is so bright and out there that it mesmerizes kids,” said Madison Alford, stage manager for not one but both shows. “The most challenging part is having to fill in when someone is gone, but be memorized and have to know and move a set piece. It is like reading Mr. Orsetts’ mind,” said Alford.

Stage managers must know where everyone should be when, what set pieces need to be moved, and so much more. Stage managers are the eyes and ears of the production process. They bear much responsibility, far beyond what most people can handle. Alford was assisted by two other stage managers, Amber McCormick and Connor Ritter. Alford expressed much gratitude for both.

“Seeing the audience react to the sets and lights is so rewarding,” said Spencer Hart, technician for both productions, “It is especially fun with kids in the audience because they are a lot more vocal about their reactions.”

Each show had its own elaborate sets, mic plots, lighting design, ect. Each was very different, besides the fun snowfall effect, and there was only a week transition to transform the stage. In just about seven days a pirate ship became the town in which Charlie Brown resides. This was not possible without the hard work and dedication of Mr.Orsett, Stephen Dupore, Spencer Hart, and many other hard working students.

“The best part of the process for me is the rehearsal. I try my best to work efficiently one hundred percent of the time,” said Ian Zeph, who portrayed Charlie Brown. “It can be difficult to remember cues, especially in music.”

In addition to being at rehearsal three to four times a week after school the casts had a long day which was about five hours of rehearsal. Actors are responsible for working their hardest inside and out of rehearsal. They must memorize music, cues as well as dig deep in to their characters to create a well rounded human being.

“We worked really hard on these shows and we hope those that came enjoyed it!” said Chaney.