Zachary Routh, Social Studies Teacher

ZACH ROUTH, Social Studies Department

Q:  What do you teach?

A:  [I teach] Civics and Sociology and next semester I’ll be teaching World History.

Q:  Tell me about your background. 

A: I’m originally from Winston-Salem. [In high school] I was captain of the football and academic team. [In] college I studied history and sociology. I then [went] into the Masters of Art and Teaching Program at [NC State]. Last year, I [had] a job at Glenn High School in Kernersville.

Q:  What made you decide to teach social studies? 

A:  [Social studies] was always one of my favorite classes. In [middle school I had] my first real realization that social studies was something I really enjoyed doing. 

Q:  What does your typical workday look like?

A:  I wake-up about five-thirty. [When] I get in, [I] get things set up for class. On Tuesdays, I have sweeper, lunch and pride time duty which are really just [watching] students and make sure the place doesn’t burn down. After school, I stay for about an hour and a half depending. [Then] I go home, relax, have dinner, watch jeopardy and go back to [doing] work until about nine. 

Q:  What brought you to Wakefield?

A: [Two years ago] a long term sub position came up here for Mr. Bliga, who retired last year. I really enjoyed my time within my department and thought the school was a great place. It was really easy to want to come back.

Q:  What do you like most about Wakefield so far? 

A: [A] nice thing about the school is the culture. It’s really good for everyone involved to have a defined culture and [know] what [the school] is aiming [for].

Q:  What do you like to do outside of school?

A: I’m a big sports fan. I really love concerts and I’ve gone to about 100 concerts. I collect records [too]. I [also] run the youth group at [Raleigh Moravian Church].

Q:  What is your advice for students taking your class(es)? 

A:  Trust the process and trust yourself. I think that’s really hard to balance sometimes for kids. Don’t worry about making mistakes.

The Howler • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in