Back to Article
Back to Article

ZACH ROUTH, Social Studies Department

Zachary Routh, Social Studies Teacher

Zachary Routh, Social Studies Teacher

Zachary Routh, Social Studies Teacher

Zachary Routh, Social Studies Teacher

ZACH ROUTH, Social Studies Department

Q:  What do you teach?

A:  [I teach] Civics and Sociology and next semester I’ll be teaching World History.

Q:  Tell me about your background. 

A: I’m originally from Winston-Salem. [In high school] I was captain of the football and academic team. [In] college I studied history and sociology. I then [went] into the Masters of Art and Teaching Program at [NC State]. Last year, I [had] a job at Glenn High School in Kernersville.

Q:  What made you decide to teach social studies? 

A:  [Social studies] was always one of my favorite classes. In [middle school I had] my first real realization that social studies was something I really enjoyed doing. 

Q:  What does your typical workday look like?

A:  I wake-up about five-thirty. [When] I get in, [I] get things set up for class. On Tuesdays, I have sweeper, lunch and pride time duty which are really just [watching] students and make sure the place doesn’t burn down. After school, I stay for about an hour and a half depending. [Then] I go home, relax, have dinner, watch jeopardy and go back to [doing] work until about nine. 

Q:  What brought you to Wakefield?

A: [Two years ago] a long term sub position came up here for Mr. Bliga, who retired last year. I really enjoyed my time within my department and thought the school was a great place. It was really easy to want to come back.

Q:  What do you like most about Wakefield so far? 

A: [A] nice thing about the school is the culture. It’s really good for everyone involved to have a defined culture and [know] what [the school] is aiming [for].

Q:  What do you like to do outside of school?

A: I’m a big sports fan. I really love concerts and I’ve gone to about 100 concerts. I collect records [too]. I [also] run the youth group at [Raleigh Moravian Church].

Q:  What is your advice for students taking your class(es)? 

A:  Trust the process and trust yourself. I think that’s really hard to balance sometimes for kids. Don’t worry about making mistakes.

The Howler • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in