Isabelle and Katelyn’s Skincare Routine
Editors Isabelle and Katelyn share their skincare, wellness and lifestyle tips once a month. They will blog about their expertise on a plethora of topics from makeup to home decor.
October 25, 2017
Katelyn’s Skincare Routine
I have combination skin that is oily in the T-zone and dry everywhere else. Skincare is important to me because I can see how much it impacts my self confidence and how I present myself to others.
1. Formula 10.0.6 Best Face Forward Daily Foaming Cleanser Passionfruit and Green Tea $5.99 at Ulta Beauty
Immediately after I wake up in the morning I wash my face with this cleanser. It removes oil and reduces skin impurities with green tea and chamomile while passionfruit balances skin tone and oil. I have been using this face wash since the beginning of June and I love it because I feel like it leaves my skin feeling smooth and it decreases the amount of oil that I see on my skin. I just use my hands to rub it in instead of an exfoliating spin brush since I use that at night.
2. Mario Badescu Rose Facial Spray with Aloe, Herb and Rosewater $7 at Ulta Beauty
3. RE: Fresh Organic Toning Face Mist Cucumber and Rosewater $9.99
I use these sprays interchangeably on alternating days after I wash my face but before I moisturize. They both give my face a natural glow without the use of highlight and my face becomes super moisturized. I also use these products throughout the day if I feel like my face can use a boost in the afternoon. The Mario Badescu also works as an amazing makeup setting spray and keeps my face glowing and moisturized and also keeps my makeup in place.
4. Formula 10.0.6 Picture Perfect Day Moisturizer $6.99 at Ulta Beauty
This moisturizer is perfect for my skin since I have combination skin so it’s both dry and oily. However, it’s a heavier moisturizer so you can feel it on your skin, so if you’d rather have a lightweight moisturizer this is not for you. I personally love it because it keeps my skin soft but I don’t look greasy.
1. Rimmel Eye Makeup Remover $3.37 at Target
This is the only eye makeup I have used since I started wearing makeup in 6th grade. Many eye makeup removers make my skin feel heavy and greasy, but I love the way this one feels since it’s lightweight and just feels like water on my skin. I wear a lot of eye makeup, especially black mascara and eyeliner, and it takes it all off.
2. Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes refill pack $4.49 at Target
I use this for face makeup only since I have found that it doesn’t completely remove my eye makeup. But, it’s perfect for taking off foundation, eyebrow makeup, contour and highlight.
3. Pacifica Kale Detox Deep Cleansing Face Wash $10 at Ulta Beauty
I use a different cleanser at night than I do in the morning in order to further cleanse my skin to keep my skin glowing and clear. This face wash smells so good and it leaves my face feeling clear and smooth after a long day. I use an exfoliating spin brush at night to deep cleanse my face in order to completely remove all of my makeup and clean out my pores. This face wash leaves my face feeling clean and soft, also this face wash does not leave my face feeling tight as other cleansers do.
4. Formula 10.0.6 Get Your Glow On Skin-Brightening Peel Mask Papaya and Citrus
5. Formula 10.0.6 Deep Down Detox Ultra Cleansing Mud Mask $6.99 at Ulta Beauty
I use a mask three or four times a week and I use these two masks interchangeably. If I use the Papaya and Citrus mask on Monday, I would use the Deep Down Detox mask on Wednesday. The peel mask leaves my skin feeling smooth, but it is a little hard to get completely off so I always use it before I shower so the mask completely washes away. The Deep Down Detox mask leaves my skin feeling a little dry but I feel like it really cleanses my skin and minimizes breakouts.
6. Botanics All Bright Cleansing Toner $6.99 at Ulta Beauty
I just began using toner for the first time this summer and I cannot believe that I did not use it for so long. This toner balances and evens out my skin tone by decreasing the amount of oil I see on my face and creating a completely uniform tone. This toner also clears up my skin and minimize breakouts.
7. Yes to Cucumbers Daily Calming Moisturizer $12.99 at Target
This moisturizer is super soothing and leaves my face feeling smooth. This one is much lighter than the one I use in the morning so I like to use it at night since I use so many products in the evening and I do not want to stress my skin.
8. Mario Badescu Anti Acne Serum $20 at Ulta Beauty
I used to use Epiduo on my skin and I just recently ran out so I decided to try a new product. The Epiduo was expensive and required a dermatologist prescription, so I decided to try the Mario Badescu Anti Acne Serum since I already knew I loved his rose water spray. I am still trying to form an opinion on it, but I do like it. I use a Q-tip to apply the serum to breakouts and acne-prone areas to decrease the size of and prevent breakouts.
Isabelle’s Skincare Routine
I have oily to combination skin that is very sensitive to harsh chemicals and products. I am very intentional with what I put on my skin because I know that a lot of things will irritate my skin. I look at skincare as a time to pamper myself and practice daily self care.
- When I’m being really good about my routine (not always as often as I would hope), I start my morning by washing my face. I usually rotate between my Shiseido foaming cleanser or my Desert Essence Tea Tree face wash. Both of these smell so clean and natural, I love how the Shiseido cleanser has tiny microbeads to gently scrub off the dead skin and oil that my skin has accumulated overnight.
- Then I put on my acne medication, Aczone Gel. I love this stuff and have been using it for about a year now! You can’t buy it at the drugstore, you need a prescription from a dermatologist, but I really love this stuff. Even with my sensitive skin it has never left me with chemical burns or any lasting redness.
- After I strip my skin, it’s so important to replenish the skin’s natural oils. I love to moisturize with First Aid Beauty’s Ultra Repair Cream. This stuff is seriously one of the best things that I’ve ever used on my skin, it’s so amazing for sensitive skin and isn’t too heavy on the face. I’ve been using this moisturizer for at least 3 years and I don’t intend to stop anytime soon.
- Usually when I wake up I’m a little groggy and have some bags under my eyes and my favorite way to combat the bags is to use Origins’ Ginzing eye cream. It has a light shimmer that is so natural on the skin and definitely makes me look as though I’ve gotten my full 8 hours of beauty sleep.
- At night I either use the two cleansers listed above or Boscia’s Exfoliating Powder. I love this powder because it smells amazing (super clean and natural scent) and strips all the gunk off my face from the day. You can easily customize the amount of exfoliation by adding more or less water to the powder (I usually add more so it doesn’t harm my sensitive skin).
- Again I use my Aczone Gel, but three times a week I also use Tazorac cream. This cream is a bit harsher on the skin but again, I can definitely see a difference when I use this on my skin. For this cream you also need to get a prescription from your dermatologist.
- Next I use my favorite moisturizer, FAB’s Ultra Repair Cream. This stuff is one of my holy grail skincare products and I don’t think my skin would look as good as it is without it.
- Sometimes at night I also put on eye cream, but at night I use Clinique’s All About Eyes. This eye cream leaves my under eye area feeling so soft and and I love the formula of this product, it feels very natural and sinks in evenly to the skin.
- About once a week I do a face mask, usually on Sunday nights before school. My favorite face mask is Aztec Secret’s Indian Healing Clay. This stuff is seriously amazing and works wonders on my skin. I mix the powder with apple cider vinegar, brush it onto my face, and let it dry for about 30 minutes. Because I have sensitive skin it does leave my skin red for about 30 minute after I take the mask off, but it doesn’t burn or leave any lasting skin issues.
- If I’m feeling like I need to really relax, I use Gold&Snail eye masks. They are so moisturizing and make me feel like I’m at a spa.