Hoops for Hope teammates donate their time and athleticism to raise awareness for cancer. (Staff Photo by Chase Cofield)
Hoops for Hope teammates donate their time and athleticism to raise awareness for cancer.

Staff Photo by Chase Cofield

Hooping to save lives

In game between students and staff, students win big

March 28, 2017

Hoops for Heart is a yearly basketball event that donates money to cancer patients. Physical Education teacher, Cynthia Terrell, has been the advisor for the Hoops for Heart event for five years now and is very passionate about the event. It lasted for two weeks until the final win of team Jelly Fam.

“The Hoops for Heart event is a basketball game to help raise money to help cancer patients,” Terrell  said. “It’s a great way for everyone to have a good time while raising money for a good cause.”

This event is very personal to Terrell because she went through losing someone very close to her to cancer.

“I lost my father to cancer and it was a very hard time for me,” Terrell said. “This event is very close to my heart. We need to find a cure so no one goes through this devastating loss.”

All the money from the event is donated to find a cure for cancer.

“I really appreciated that all the money from the basketball games isn’t going to a luxury thing but donated to a good cause,” Alissa Patterson, junior and Hoops for Heart attendee said. “I am really proud of the Wakefield family that a lot of people came to the event which means a lot of money was donated.”

Hoops for Heart contributes to a good cause and raises school spirit.

“I never knew how much our school would feel so united until I went to the Hoops for Heart event,” Patterson said. “Everyone was going crazy with all the shots made and it’s really inspirational.”

For many attendees, hanging out with friends during lunch is what attracted to to the event, but some ended up really enjoying it.

“The only reason why I went to the gym was because all my friends were in it,” sophomore Amaya Hinnant said. “I thought it was going to be boring but it was actually really interesting.”

The event is filled with positive energy and spirits cheering on the students and teachers who are playing on the court.

“The Hoops for Heart is so much fun, and I loved all the energy that’s in the gym,” Jayla Poindexter, sophomore and Hoops for Heart attendee, said. “This is my first year going, and I am definitely going every year after this.”

The event is a good way to meet fellow basketball fanatics and also supporters of cancer research.

“I enjoyed the event very much,” Trent Wilson, basketball coach and advisor for Hoops for Heart, said. “I think this event is a great way to raise awareness on cancer and a great way for kids to have a good time and give back.”

Students don’t have to be a basketball lover to attend the event.

“I don’t know anything about basketball,” Poindexter said. “This event is about basketball but it’s also more than that. The event is about helping cancer patients, and having a good time talking with your friends while seeing your classmates play.”

This event provided many students a chance to give back to people wh

“Other than playing basketball I really wanted to play in the game to help someone because I feel like every dollar counts.”

— Davis

o are going through a tough battle with cancer.

“Other than playing basketball I really wanted to play in the game to help someone because I feel like every dollar counts,” Bryson Davis, senior and student basketball team leader said.

Many teams competed and fought well but only one team can win.

“I was so excited we won this year because we lost last year,” Davis said. “I am so proud of myself and my team that we qualified to play against the teachers.”

The final game of Hoops for Heart was the winning student team against our Wakefield staff with Chancy Wolfe as their team captain.

“I was so hyped that my team won the hoops for heart event,” Davis said. “Even though I am super excited my team dominated but I am even more excited all the money the school earned for the cancer patients.”

The Howler • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in