Wakefield Black Student Union initiates discussion by peacefully protesting

November 17, 2016

Sophmore, Zyquell Eaton raising a fist in solidarity for Black Student Union
Staff Photo by Chase Cofield
View Comments (2)

The Howler • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• C

ChinmaDec 15, 2016 at 1:53 pm

I honestly thought this article was amazing and well written, its one of my favorites on The Howler. I loved the diversity and difference of opinions from each person interviewed. Even if I didn’t agree with some of the statements that were said I respected how they felt. It really opened my eyes to the difference of opinions in our school and maybe our community. This is the type of article I enjoy reading so much. GOOD JOB GIRLS!!!!!

Reply
  • T

Tom BurgessNov 24, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Fifty years ago my generation protested. We protested the treatment of Black people, we protested the Viet Nam war, we protested the food in the cafeteria, we protested those that we called uptight adults and we protested the treatment of women as second class citizens. We saw our heroes be killed one by one and we protested their untimely demise. And when adults dismissed us as children for protesting we protested their ignorance.
    We sat in, we dropped out, we marched, we grew our hair long, we burned our draft cards, we burned the cafeteria manager in effigy, we burned the flag and some of my friends even burned their bras (I didn’t have one to burn for obvious reasons).
    I always stand and sing when the National Anthem is played and I almost always shed a tear, not because I believe every word or because it represents the perfect union. Quite the opposite it’s because as a reader of history and, for 69 years, as a participant in part of that history I am reminded that while we have come so far we still have so far to go.
    So I say to you in the words of Evelyn Beatrice Hall, “I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” And in the words of Kansas, “Carry on my wayward one, there’ll be peace when you are done.” Peace being the operative word. Please don’t break it.

Reply
2