Sanders vs. Clinton: The race for the Democratic nomination

November 16, 2015

There are many factors that people consider when they decide to side with a political candidate. When it comes to presidential campaigns, who you choose to side with is important for many reasons. Not only are you deciding which candidate best suits your needs overall, but you are selecting the person that you believe is best to run the country.

With this in mind, choosing a nominee that you strongly believe in is a difficult process which should be taken seriously. The upcoming Presidential election marks an important event for many juniors and seniors at our school as it is the first time they can vote. The significance of their first ever election is something most people will not forget, so knowledge about the candidates is very important in making an informed decision on whom to support. Teens often only follow politics that they see on Twitter and what is trending, rather than forming their own educated opinions. The influence on the upcoming generation of new voters is astronomical, and as the primary way many teenagers and young adults get their news, it is proving to be very important to many campaigns, especially Senator Sanders and Secretary Clinton.

Many of the people I know get all or most of their political information from social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. While some of the information on social media about the candidates is coming from reliable news sources, a lot of it gets distorted and misunderstood as it makes its way through thousands of accounts and sources. It’s very easy to believe everything you see on the internet, but it is important to check your sources to make sure you are getting reliable information, especially when it comes to your vote.

Social media has proven to be an extremely successful campaign strategy for both Clinton and Sanders, with both of them having very strong Twitter presences.

Senator Sanders has had an especially strong social media following, particularly amongst first time voters. His strong Socialist views are strongly resonating with young voters who appreciate his views on topics that are important to them, for example, his view on college tuition. Senator Sanders specifically outlined a plan to provide grants to states to eliminate all tuition costs and required fees at public colleges and universities. He also included a plan that would guarantee affordable student loans and let graduates refinance their loans to get lower rates. These ideas are standing strongly with high school and college age students who will have to deal with these issues in the near future. Senator Sanders’ college plan is one of the many reasons that young people and first time voters are finding themselves drawn to his policies.

Secretary Clinton might not have as strong a social media following as Senator Sanders, but she definitely has the potential to get to that level. Clinton is shrouded by controversy over her email scandal, but it isn’t something that’s holding her back. Her popularity amongst women and African Americans is strong, which has helped her catapult into the number one spot in the race for the democratic nomination, the Huffington Post reported. When it comes to her policies, she also has favorable ideas with regards to students. Concerning college tuition, she says we should provide grants to states to guarantee that students do not need loans to afford 4 year, public, colleges and universities. She also believes that we should cut interest rates on student loans to make it simpler for graduates to repay their loans at a rate that is fixed based on their income. Although this plan may not be ideal for everyone, it is more feasible and realistic than Sanders’ plan, which would cost $750 billion over the course of 10 years, according to CNN Money.

With over half of Millennials identifying as Democrats, the Democratic party nomination is definitely the one to watch. While Senator Sanders and Secretary Clinton may have different views on many topics, it is fair to say that they will most definitely be pulling in the Millennial vote, making them the two most important candidates on the ballot. Sanders and Clinton would both bring important firsts to the White House, with Sanders being the first Jewish president if elected, and Clinton being the first woman. As much as this may sway people in certain directions, it is important to base your opinions on policies and ideas presented and keep an open mind to both nominees.

Both Clinton and Sanders possess qualities that would make them good presidents, but they also both have weaknesses. It is extremely important to stay informed on current events and what your candidate stands for before voting. So, before you head out to the polls to vote in the primary for the nominee on March 16, make sure you really know who you’re supporting.