Millie Monahan grins for the camera while on her first trip to the beach

Sincerely, Mils

"You don't have to be sorry for leaving and growing up"- Harry Styles

I’m not sure how the last day finally arrived. We always had the last days of school, from kindergarten to high school, but it is surreal to think this is the last time I’ll walk out of these doors. Although high school is not like the movies, much to my disappointment, it has still been a unique experience I hope to remember for a long time. 

I owe a lot to the people I have met and the friends who have stood by me. I could not have gotten through the trials and tribulations without them. As someone who struggles with mental illness and insecurities, I’ve been able to stay afloat because of the ones who reminded me of who I was and how much joy life could bring. I found those people through theatre and classes; our shared experiences and passions gave us something to bond over and laugh about. I know I will hold onto all of the memories I have made dearly; they include everything from the best times of my life to the not-so-good experiences, but they have all helped me grow and learn. 

While I was only able to be in newspaper for three semesters, the empowerment that has come from being able to voice the thoughts that run through my mind was liberating. I often chose to report on the more controversial topics, and in doing so I have learned so much about what it means to have a voice and use it for what you believe in. 

Along with having a platform to write, I have worked with incredible and intelligent peers who inspired me every step of the way. So, thank you to those who supported me through my time in that class and in high school because you all made it a wonderful experience that I will miss greatly. 

The girl who walked in those doors four years ago is not the same girl who is about to leave them in a mere few days. Cliche, I know, but it is nothing but true. It has been a rewarding experience to see the growth resulting from the experiences I have had here. They say you can never truly be prepared for life and what lies ahead, but I believe it will be a fun adventure if you view it as one. The unknown is scary but within the questions and uncertainties comes excitement. 

So as one chapter ends, I know I still have so much more left in the book of my life. I can’t say I’m not scared, but that’s ok. I always looked at nerves in theatre as excitement showing itself differently. So that’s what the rest of my life will hold: nervous excitement. 

The Howler • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Howler Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *